Greetings from the Potteries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rjb70Stoke

Just thought I'd drop by ans introduce myself.

After a few years watching Cav tear up Le Tour, and then Wiggo and Froome smash it, watching cycling has gripped me and now inspired me to get back on the road.

Always had "racers" when I was a kid, then through my twenties and early thirties a bike was the last thing on my mind, cars were faster, safer and warmer. Until as I approached my forties I decided I needed a bike for a bit of fitness and to lose a few pounds. Got myself a mountain bike (suspension and everything!) and got riding again. Unfortunately a hernia put paid to that shortish adventure and the bike stayed in the garage gathering dust and rust.

Last year we went to Yorkshire for the tour and thoughts turned to getting back on a bike. But it never happened. Then this year we went to Paris for the tour and that was it, fully inspired, for the last month and a half Ive read about bikes, watched youtube videos about bikes. Ive dusted down the old MTB, and got out and about. I couldn't believe how hard it was! I'd been reading about gearing etc, and trying to operate my gears as suggested, 4k took me nearly 20 minutes! it was a proper slog, so after shopping around local shops Ive finally today been and collected my new bike!! HURRAH!!

Im starting quite small, going for a Boardman Road Sport Limited Edition. For me it offered me the best combination of price (obviously) and features. Im hoping it will lead me on many adventures and urge me to move on up in the future, but for now as an old-newbie, its pretty exciting I can tell you.

Had a quick ride tonight. First thoughts... gonna need to change the pedals, and bleeding heck its quick. Way more nimble than the MTB also. My 4k slog on the MTB has been reduced immediately to 12 minutes. Going to try for 20k this weekend.

Ill keep you posted on my progress.

xxDarkRiderxx

Veteran
:welcome: And great to hear that you have returned to cycling... You wont regret it. I was out for 3 hours in the sunshine this evening and it was great.

13 rider

Guru
Enjoy the roadie good choice by the way .So much better suited to the roads .I passed a guy on a MTB at the weekend as he ground his way up I climb in bottom gear I flew past him in the big ring smiling from ear to ear .

Top Bottom