Good evening

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steven Ward

first ever forum, feels a bit strange!!

I'm a mountain biker just bought a road bike and starting out on that. Up to 30 mile ish road rides till my rearus endus is screaming at Me stop! I'm sure that it will get used to it.

I've just booked on the Great Yorkshire bike ride in June, wet herby to Filey 70 miles, this a week after returning from two weeks all inclusive in Sicily!!

Anyway, any tips on training will be welcome!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Up to 30 mile ish road rides till my rearus endus is screaming at Me stop! I'm sure that it will get used to it.
:welcome: I'm sure the usual sadists will be along in a bit to tell you that you will and you'll even get to enjoy it and should wear special trousers... but I'd be contemplating whether I'd got the right saddle and working through http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html and thinking whether it's just that my legs weren't up to speed yet or whether the saddle shape didn't match my backside. I spent far too long riding a dangerously bad-for-me saddle a few years ago. Never again!

As for training: build distance up to 50 and then you should be fine with 70 as the next step up. :thumbsup:

wheely woman

Use good quality cycling tights/shorts and buy good chamois cream! Make sure your saddle is level... Not angled up at the front!

steve50

Disenchanted Member
:welcome:, as above , decent padded shorts are a must as is chamois cream, you need to bad your backside in to do a ride like that or you will be in agony if you manage to do the whole 70 miles.

OP
OP
Steven Ward

Steven Ward

Thanks very much, got a slightly padded saddle for now and padded shorts, I'll put the proper saddle back in when my rear endus gets used to it.

Good day to all

rugby bloke

Veteran
Welcome to the Forum ! First thing I did when I got my first road bike last year was to swap over the saddle from my MTB ... figured I would stick with what I was used to. Got me around the Ride London in relative comfort. This season I'm trying to get used to the harder seat came with the bike. I'm very much of the opinion of changing as few of the variables as possible. As for training, plenty of miles, mix up short distances - say 20 / 25 miles with a longer ride - up to 50. If you are comfortable with 50 then you will get through 70 on the day. There is loads of useful advice on here for the novice Sportive rider so have a dig around.

grumpyoldwoman

:welcome:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Here we go again ;)
:welcome:, as above , decent padded shorts are a must as is chamois cream, you need to bad your backside in to do a ride like that or you will be in agony if you manage to do the whole 70 miles.
No, they're not a must. Some people like wearing creamy padded pants, some don't. I don't and have ridden much longer days than 70 miles without.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Hi and :welcome:.
I'm having similar issues with new bike. I have a leather Brooks on my old tourer and am toying with putting that on new bike. May give it a few more miles yet and a few more tweeks to try to get positioning right first.

hammerhead

Hi Steven Ward ,this is an amazing coincedence you have just joined tonight and so have I Steven Wand,que twighlight zone music lol

Top Bottom