Geraint Thomas and TDF

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I'm not sure if Thomas is really GT GC material. Classics, certainly. Kennaugh - we'll have to see. He certainly has huge potential.

Thomas speaks a little about future plans.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ger...emulate-bradley-wiggins-at-the-tour-de-france

Well I for one would love to see Sky put serious effort into the classics. Can G climb well enough for GT riding?
I think we will see more British riders moving over from the track in the near future. Peter Kennaugh could well be GT material in the future.

Well, its hard to believe but people would have said the same of wiggo a few years ago. We can only wait and see.

OP
OP
beastie

beastie

Guru
Well, its hard to believe but people would have said the same of wiggo a few years ago. We can only wait and see.
Absolutely agree about Wiggins. Thomas is already far in advance at his age than Wiggins was. Who would have believed even 5 years ago that we would have 2 GT podium spots in La Veulta, nevermind 1st and 2nd in the tour. There is a lot of talent coming through, can it translate from track to road?

kedab

Veteran
i hope all the brits and the african-brit do rather splendidly but given the route, i don't see anybody beating berti in the TdF...unless of course he beats himself again :dry:

oldroadman

Veteran
Geraint is said to have oe of the best engines of any rider, he can climb and will improve with a few less kg to drag up the mountains. He could also go the classics route, but if you want the attention of the British public, the TdF is where it's at. They have no real knowledge and care even less about most other races, outside of the Olympics.
To respond to the track to road question, if you look at a big proportion of successful pro road riders from GB and Aus, most started with the track programmes. They gained speed and strength, and as they grwo and mature major endurance follows when the coaching is correct. One thing you can't get as you get older is faster (please don't mention English TTers over 40, this is about real speed, red zone stuff, not driving along at 95% for hours).

Top Bottom