Gearing up for a pan-euro cycle tour & looking to connect

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteveThomas

Regular
Hey, I'm new here and will take this opportunity to introduce myself!...I am 40yo guy, originally from Highgate, London. I have been living on the Essex coast since 2010 and loving the coastal bike rides. I am gearing up for my first solo bike tour starting late July '16, where I will be taking in Northern France, Belgium, Holland, Germany and Sweden - around 1000 miles/1 month. Its quite ambitious but I think I am at that stage in life where I really need to start scaring myself...its good for the heart ;) I also view it as an opportunity to meet new people on the road and to connect with nature and the environment. I am very excited! I recently had a Surly Long Haul Trucker which I sold as I just couldn't get on with it. I am now considering the Specialized AWOL, Kona Sutra, and Cinelli Hobootleg. So guys, which bike do you think is best?

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hi Steve, welcome to CycleChat :welcome:

As Steve has also posted about what bike to get elsewhere, can you give him any advice on bikes on this thread, please - just to avoid duplication!

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/agonising-over-which-touring-bike-to-buy-for-1k-solo-tour.201538/

snorri

Legendary Member
Welcome to CC Steve:smile:. You sound a bit young for such an adventure, take care out there^_^.
Good to see you are going it alone which I am convinced is the best way if you want to meet people along the way. Nice to start in France and get it over with, then the best is ahead of you and the wind behind you:smile:.
I'll leave the which bike question to others,but would recommend a Rohloff hub if you can manage it, I got fed up fixing derailleur systems when on tour.
Wish I could start my touring career all over again:biggrin:.

OP
OP
SteveThomas

SteveThomas

Regular
Welcome to CC Steve:smile:. You sound a bit young for such an adventure, take care out there^_^.
Good to see you are going it alone which I am convinced is the best way if you want to meet people along the way. Nice to start in France and get it over with, then the best is ahead of you and the wind behind you:smile:.
I'll leave the which bike question to others,but would recommend a Rohloff hub if you can manage it, I got fed up fixing derailleur systems when on tour.
Wish I could start my touring career all over again:biggrin:.
Young?...40?...uhm thanks! :okay: Interesting that you should mention the Rohloff, I've never ridden a bike with this configuration, I might look in to that. The Shimano derailleur's seem to be pretty robust for touring, expedition may be a different matter. I don't really have any concerns in regards to touring on my own, you only have to look to guys like Darren Alff to understand that its totally possible - at any age...get back on your bike :okay: cheers.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Welcome.

Have you worked out you route yet? That will help to give you individual advice about thing like campsites, places to see and any particular issues one of us may have had along that route or indeed to advise on a better one.

Have you got all your gear, panniers, racks, camping gear sorted out? There is a wealth of experience on here at your disposal.

Another site that you would enjoy that many CC members blog on is CGOAB,
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com.

OP
OP
SteveThomas

SteveThomas

Regular
Welcome.

Have you worked out you route yet? That will help to give you individual advice about thing like campsites, places to see and any particular issues one of us may have had along that route or indeed to advise on a better one.

Have you got all your gear, panniers, racks, camping gear sorted out? There is a wealth of experience on here at your disposal.

Another site that you would enjoy that many CC members blog on is CGOAB,
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com.

Hi, thanks for the site link and the tips. I've spent the past 12 months on and off planning for the trip, so have figured out the camping equipment that I will need.

I will post a separate thread with my touring itinerary and hopefully you guys can set me straight on the best options for my route, essentially I plan to take a ferry in late July to Hoek van Holland and to travel up to Sweden (Gothenburg), returning back down through Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium and France (Calais), a little over 2k miles/1 month.

I favour a mix of wild camping and camp sites, the wild camping will be easy in Sweden, but less so the other countries that I pass through. The whole journey has turned in to a huge logistical exercise researching camp sites, off-beat camping spots etc, I'm just wondering if I should just cut loose and go with the flow?!

Thanks again :okay:

snorri

Legendary Member
the wild camping will be easy in Sweden, but less so the other countries that I pass through. The whole journey has turned in to a huge logistical exercise researching camp sites, off-beat camping spots etc, I'm just wondering if I should just cut loose and go with the flow?!
Wild camping is not permitted in Germany, Netherlands, Luxembourg or Belgium, although I have not heard of anyone being shot for it!
For myself I use campsites where possible preferring the luxury of toilets and hot water and the freedom to sleep on free of any concerns that someone may come to move me along.
Planning is a difficult thing, it is tricky getting the balance between visiting places you really want to see and allowing time for spur of the moment changes of direction as opportunities present themselves.

I'm just wondering if I should just cut loose and go with the flow?!
You can do both. I've done tours with pre-booked accommodation and tours where I've booked nothing. Or booked up a few days in advance only to cancel them all and catch a ferry/train somewhere else. You'll soon settle into a rhythm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SteveThomas

SteveThomas

Regular
Wild camping is not permitted in Germany, Netherlands, Luxembourg or Belgium, although I have not heard of anyone being shot for it!
For myself I use campsites where possible preferring the luxury of toilets and hot water and the freedom to sleep on free of any concerns that someone may come to move me along.
Planning is a difficult thing, it is tricky getting the balance between visiting places you really want to see and allowing time for spur of the moment changes of direction as opportunities present themselves.

I'm favouring a mix of wild camping and official camp sites, although I may be heading for hotels after a week in the saddle! Thanks for the head up on the legalities of wild camping, I had checked and was aware that in Benelux and Germany you will will either be moved along, fined, or perhaps locked up...the 'renegade' in me wants to take a few risks, I just find it unnatural as a human being not to be able to lay your head down where you choose, boundaries and pedantic rules are another silly human invention:secret:

Top Bottom