Gear ratio. 34/34 to 33/34.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a 110BCD chainset and considering swapping out my 50/34 for a 50/33. Paired with a 11-34 8 speed cassette and wondering if I’d notice the difference, primarily when climbing at my gearing ratio would decrease from 1.00 to 0.97 or would it be better to go for a super compact 46/30 or even 48/32 to make climbing that little bit easier.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm not sure you would notice the difference to be honest. If you're going to do that I'd go 48/32.

si_c

Guru
I really noticed the difference when climbing with a 48/32 sub-compact chainset, especially when paired with a 34t large tooth on the cassette. You might notice a small difference with a 33 but if you have the option, might as well go with the lower gearing.

OP
OP
bikingdad90
Thanks guys. It’s a bit more expensive as I’ll need to swap out the whole chainset to drop down as it seems the smallest you can get at 110BCD is 33t.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Put it this way, each change of gear on the 8-speed cassette makes a difference of between 14-20% in gearing. Your proposal makes a 2.9% difference in gearing.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Thanks guys. It’s a bit more expensive as I’ll need to swap out the whole chainset to drop down as it seems the smallest you can get at 110BCD is 33t.

yes that's correct, Spa do super-compacts (fashioned from a triple). You may need a new BB, as they need a square taper BB.
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s109p3383/SPA-CYCLES-TD-2-Super-Compact-Chainset-with-Zicral-Rings
~£80 or £100 if you need a BB.

If you have a press fit BB shell then you're farked.

Top Bottom