Garmin Edge 200

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there

Whilst having a clear out, I came across my Garmin Edge 200. I'm probably going to start using it again (its hardly been used). How do I upload to Strava from it after I've completed a ride? Also, does it allow you to plan routes?

Thanks in advance

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Edge 200 will need to be connected via a usb cable to a device that can recognize it , i have read some people have had success with samsung tablets but i always used a windows computer .
Once you can see the device and access the activities file you could either manually upload the .fit files to strava or use garmin connect to upload and sync to strava by linking the garmin account with your strava account .

Before you do all this i would check the battery life of the 200 as it may have lost capacity after sitting for so long it might be past its best , you can replace the battery but you have to ask yourself if its worth the hassle .

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Also, does it allow you to plan routes?
No. I suggest that you use cycle.travel to do that. Export each route as a GPX file on the computer. As @cyberknight says above - connect the computer to the 200 using a USB lead. Copy your route GPX file into the 'Garmin/New Files' folder on the 200. When you next boot up the 200 it looks for route files in that folder and processes them ready for use.

Navigation on the 200 is by following a primitive route line. There is no map under the line - you are basically just following a squiggle on the screen! If you plot your routes on cycle.travel they will follow every twist and turn in the road so the squiggle exactly follows the direction of the road. It sounds like it wouldn't work, but once you get used to it it is a very reliable system.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
No. I suggest that you use cycle.travel to do that. Export each route as a GPX file on the computer. As @cyberknight says above - connect the computer to the 200 using a USB lead. Copy your route GPX file into the 'Garmin/New Files' folder on the 200. When you next boot up the 200 it looks for route files in that folder and processes them ready for use.

Navigation on the 200 is by following a primitive route line. There is no map under the line - you are basically just following a squiggle on the screen! If you plot your routes on cycle.travel they will follow every twist and turn in the road so the squiggle exactly follows the direction of the road. It sounds like it wouldn't work, but once you get used to it it is a very reliable system.

the navigation can be fun at junctions

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
the navigation can be fun at junctions
It is fine at simple ones, but yes, junctions just before/after multi-exit roundabouts, for example, can be confusing!

I can see on the map which junctions might cause problems so I always use Street View before the ride to double-check them and try to remember what I am going to have to do on the ride.

The other problem that can arise is when junctions are close together and the road is not straight. Sometimes there is a short delay in the GPS auto-rotating the screen, which can cause confusion. If you keep an eye on the GPS it usually obvious very quickly if you make a mistake. A bit tricky if that puts you on a busy dual carriageway, or on a one-way street, otherwise just u-turn and correct your navigational error. You definitely should not get lost unless you forget to look at the GPS screen for a long time because you are too busy nattering to someone... I have never done that! :whistle:

Top Bottom