Garmin Edge 1050

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DogmaStu

Garmin have released a new bike computer this week.

https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/1196129

It will sit at the top of the Edge range but the 1040 / 1040 solar will remain in the line up and all software updates will be filtering down the '40 model range from what I've read over on the D.C. Rainmaker site.

Look's good! I currently have the 1040 but have today ordered the 1050 to see how it compares. The AMOLED screen is a highlight but so is the...bell!

An electronic, built in bell. That's an unexpected innovation! ^_^

the_mikey

Legendary Member
It does look good, the user interface is super smooth, I probably won't buy one ever but I can see how it will go some way towards satisfying the demands from some people for higher screen refresh rates, brighter and more responsive touchscreens etc.

OP
OP
DogmaStu

DogmaStu

Reasonably priced as well. :crazy:

Yep, it isn't cheap.

Like any top-of-the-range model of pretty much anything, it does cost more than the products beneath it in the line.

'Reasonably priced' of course is a subjective view that varies from individual to individual, what they like, want, their means and what they are willing to pay.

My own assessment based upon the many hours I'll be using it until the next iteration update is that it is worth it to me :becool:

OP
OP
DogmaStu

DogmaStu

Will it make me faster? If not then I’ll stick with my 830, despite it not making me faster.

Why does it have to make you faster?

Above all, I like the screen. Having owned the Hammerhead Karoo 2 I really liked the mobile-quality screen and brightness.

I prefer the form-factor and larger screen that the 1040 - 1050 series offer too. Nowt to do with 'making me faster' but more about offering functions and screen real estate that I personally prefer.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It mainly seems to be all about improvements to the display rather than underlying functionality. (And the bell :smile: )

DC Rainmaker likes it

View: https://youtu.be/Nd11DIFGcZc?si=Hwrjc_hN1Ez_7RWk

One if the things Ray mentions is improving the speed with which gradient is calculated, and he said this was being rolled out to other devices. Well my 1040 updated itself a few days ago so I had my eye on this on my ride today. I can't be 100% certain but I think I noticed a reduction in the lag in the gradient figure changing in line with the road.

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Why does it have to make you faster?

Above all, I like the screen. Having owned the Hammerhead Karoo 2 I really liked the mobile-quality screen and brightness.

I prefer the form-factor and larger screen that the 1040 - 1050 series offer too. Nowt to do with 'making me faster' but more about offering functions and screen real estate that I personally prefer.

I was being facetious

bobzmyunkle

Über Member
I probably won't buy one ever
I might. But not before the 1060 or 1070 is released. Always at least one iteration behind - 810 has a year or so in it yet.
Can't be throwing money away.
It does look good though.

OP
OP
DogmaStu

DogmaStu

It mainly seems to be all about improvements to the display rather than underlying functionality. (And the bell :smile: )

DC Rainmaker likes it

View: https://youtu.be/Nd11DIFGcZc?si=Hwrjc_hN1Ez_7RWk

One if the things Ray mentions is improving the speed with which gradient is calculated, and he said this was being rolled out to other devices. Well my 1040 updated itself a few days ago so I had my eye on this on my ride today. I can't be 100% certain but I think I noticed a reduction in the lag in the gradient figure changing in line with the road.

The screen and the bell sell it for me ^_^

There is a local circuit near me through farm roads and it's ideal for a few laps on dodgy weather days but dog walkers are common so having a bell will be nice - I was considering getting one anyway.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Assume its too much to hope the user interface or versions of it are rolled out to other Garmins instead of the clunky overly complex UI on a 530 for example.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I might. But not before the 1060 or 1070 is released. Always at least one iteration behind - 810 has a year or so in it yet.
Can't be throwing money away.
It does look good though.

I still have a "working" Garmin 800, it doesn't have bluetooth, it needs a usb cable connected to the Pc for everything, I don't use it anymore but it's amazing how much better gps computers are today.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I still have a "working" Garmin 800, it doesn't have bluetooth, it needs a usb cable connected to the Pc for everything, I don't use it anymore but it's amazing how much better gps computers are today.

I've got a little museum of Garmins in a drawer, going back to a GPSMap 76S which has a serial cable, can't remember the year, maybe 2002?. The basic structure of the Garmin menus is the same in that as the 530

Top Bottom