Garmin 1040

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

baby-boop-boops

I ended up buying the edge 1040, I've been doing the garmin training plan that i started doing on my fenix6s. Its been great so far. I went for the bigger screen so i could see it better as i wear varifocals but not when I'm riding. So the training plan is great but the other day i tried a round trip course and it took me through some very muddy long narrow trails which was quite scary being on my own and in what seemed like a very long maze. I've tweaked the settings to avoid narrow trails now but i dont know if I should change it to avoid unpaved roads , I have a trek hybrid. If anyone reading this has an edge do you use the garmin maps and what settings would give me safer rides. I like cycle paths a little bumpy terrain and some road, I've never had a cycle computer before and I'd like to try some new routes instead of my usual one or two.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have a 1040 but I don't have a useful answer to you question.

I always plan my routes in advance so I don't have any experience of letting it devise its own routes.

OP
OP
B

baby-boop-boops

I have a 1040 but I don't have a useful answer to you question.

I always plan my routes in advance so I don't have any experience of letting it devise its own routes.

Thanks, this was a useful answer. Do you plan your routes on the unit itself, I think I have alot of learning to do.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Thanks, this was a useful answer. Do you plan your routes on the unit itself, I think I have alot of learning to do.

there are many apps that you can plan routes on and each has its own quirks , garmin connect has its own free route planning app which is good enough .I prefer to use the paid for strava app but im considering cancelling my premium membership this year and just using the garmin one .
I tend to plan my routes on a laptop as i prefer the old mouse/keyboard combo but you can do it on touch screen devices , the app also has heatmap/popularity routing so you can see where people like to ride .
Garmin route choice ......
i have just done a bit of digging and found this on another forum about using garmin connect with google maps with popularity off seemed to work best
https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fi...ved-roads-when-set-to-avoid#pifragment-1280=3

cyberknight

I also like to plan my routes as i have a target mileage to do on longer rides with a cafe stop around a certain distance and try to take in certain roads i know are good or have a hill i want to tackle etc .

OP
OP
B

baby-boop-boops

there are many apps that you can plan routes on and each has its own quirks , garmin connect has its own free route planning app which is good enough .I prefer to use the paid for strava app but im considering cancelling my premium membership this year and just using the garmin one .
I tend to plan my routes on a laptop as i prefer the old mouse/keyboard combo but you can do it on touch screen devices , the app also has heatmap/popularity routing so you can see where people like to ride .
Garmin route choice ......
i have just done a bit of digging and found this on another forum about using garmin connect with google maps with popularity off seemed to work best
https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fi...ved-roads-when-set-to-avoid#pifragment-1280=3

Thank you so much for your time 😊 I feel like I have something to go on now. Brilliant thank you. I think I'd prefer the laptop method too.

cyberknight

Thank you so much for your time 😊 I feel like I have something to go on now. Brilliant thank you. I think I'd prefer the laptop method too.

create an account on garmin connect assuming you havent already done one .
log on
training and planning
courses
create course
save course

to transfer the course i opt to use my phone as i find syncing the course easier over bluetooth with the garmin connect app than connecting the garmin with a cable to the laptop and syncing that way

OP
OP
B

baby-boop-boops

I also like to plan my routes as i have a target mileage to do on longer rides with a cafe stop around a certain distance and try to take in certain roads i know are good or have a hill i want to tackle etc .

That's a really good idea, I'm looking forward to having a look into this on the laptop when i get a bit of free time, the longest ride I do is about 26 miles or so, I have a shorter route too but I'm a bit fed up of the same routes. Plus they're doing alot of roadworks on these routes because they're making new cycle ways, so I'm well over due a change . 😀

OP
OP
B

baby-boop-boops

create an account on garmin connect assuming you havent already done one .
log on
training and planning
courses
create course
save course

to transfer the course i opt to use my phone as i find syncing the course easier over bluetooth with the garmin connect app than connecting the garmin with a cable to the laptop and syncing that way

So helpful thanks, I do have garmin connect, I look forward to having a play with it 🚲 🗺. Now that I know where to start lol.

Top Bottom