Folkestone to calais shuttle bus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winterwonderer

Über Member
Hi all ,looking for a way to get to Calais with the least possible fuss with a loaded tourer. I have looked at the Folkestone depart, getting on the shuttle bus and that looks pretty stress free. I am presuming that I would stay on that whilst on the train to Calais. I have been on the shuttle site and it doesn't make it that clear, well, not to me anyway. I can't find out if you can leave full panniers on either and if there are any charges involved. I did read that it would take trailers so I am hopeful about the panniers. I live in Leeds and getting to Folkestone would be quite easy for me and I quite like the simplicity of practically the whole journey being done by train. Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

Gwylan

Veteran
Hi all ,looking for a way to get to Calais with the least possible fuss with a loaded tourer. I have looked at the Folkestone depart, getting on the shuttle bus and that looks pretty stress free. I am presuming that I would stay on that whilst on the train to Calais. I have been on the shuttle site and it doesn't make it that clear, well, not to me anyway. I can't find out if you can leave full panniers on either and if there are any charges involved. I did read that it would take trailers so I am hopeful about the panniers. I live in Leeds and getting to Folkestone would be quite easy for me and I quite like the simplicity of practically the whole journey being done by train. Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

Try booking Leeds to Lille, the phonic quality is appealing.

Otherwise I can offer no insight but will follow with interest as an information gathering project.

scragend

They seem to be doing two crossings a day now, according to the web site. For a while it was only one a day, early in the morning, so although Folkestone might be easy to get to (the service departs from the Holiday Inn not the tunnel terminal) it was a faff to get there so early and if you were coming from a distance away often involved an overnight stay.

The cost is £50 one way, for bike and rider. Until recently it was £35 and it used to be even cheaper.

I've never used the service, although now that there appears to be an afternoon departure I'd certainly consider it. I would assume that you have to remove panniers - from what I can gather the bikes go on racks on a trailer while the riders travel in the minibus that's towing it. You should be able to get out of the bus and stretch your legs while it's on the train, although there isn't really much point because there isn't anywhere you can go!

Emanresu

I've used the normal ferry. Cycle to Dover and follow the marked path for bikes. You can pay before you get there or at the port for an additional charge. Just cycle to the appropriate lane you are given, using the marked lanes and when called, cycle onboard. Simple on/off unlike Holyhead/Dublin where the bike was put on a trailer.

You can take the train London to Dover without the need to book. Sharing space with wheelchairs, prams and other bikes. Usually there is space though. Look for the marked carriages

Last edited:

Gwylan

Veteran
Re London to Dover - I use this line often. Learned to look for the carriage with the disabled sticker. If you get lucky there can be space for a bike. And some belts to prevent it wandering.

OP
OP
W

winterwonderer

Über Member
I've used the normal ferry. Cycle to Dover and follow the marked path for bikes. You can pay before you get there or at the port for an additional charge. Just cycle to the appropriate lane you are given, using the marked lanes and when called, cycle onboard. Simple on/off unlike Holyhead/Dublin where the bike was put on a trailer.

You can take the train London to Dover without the need to book. Sharing space with wheelchairs, prams and other bikes. Usually there is space though. Look for the marked carriages

Hi, thanks for replying. Dover wouldn't be that much more difficult to get to for me. I am quite used to getting a train and then a ferry to the Isle of Man with my bike and that is virtually stress free, up to now! The I.O.M. ferry is just a walk on, lash your bike to a railing leaving all panniers on, and go find a seat. Simple. Is the Dover to Calais ferry like that? I would be so relieved if it was as the ferries are so frequent I wouldn't be so time restricted. Cheers, Dave

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Never used the Eutotunnel. I prefer trains and ferry.

All channel crossing ferries are hop on, lean your bike against the railings and go find a comfy window seat upstairs. The boat crew tie all bikes to secure them. Panniers stay on the bike, unless you want to carry them upstairs.

My preferred route: Leeds > Kings Cross > St Pancras > Dover > Calais.

There are also trains from Charing Cross to Dover, which are cheaper, but slower than the St Pancras high speed trains. You also have to ride the circa 3 miles from Kings Cross to Charing Cross.

Dover train station is circa 5 mins from Dover ferry.

Leave Leeds mid morning and can get to Calais late afternoon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom