Fixie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nikcrf

Hi guys , i am thinking to buy a fixie bike and i want to ask, at my bikes till now i have often issues with the back small gear and i have to replace it often, because sometimes i have small gear at the back i have stopped or just roll with very low speed and i start biking . Fixie has only one and is at the back, dont need very often to be replaced? because there so much often used when i must start biking or because of that this small gear has much more durability than normal?

boydj

Legendary Member
There are a couple of factors to take into consideration :

It sounds to me like your current bike does not have high enough gearing for the way you are using it, so you are in the highest gear all the time. Are you using a mountain bike on the road? Also you are probably not changing the chain often enough and allowing it to get too worn, which wears the cogs more than a new chain.

The chain on a fixie will be wider than the chain on a multi-geared bike and therefor more robiust and last longer. Similarly a single-speed cog will be wider than a cog on a multi-geared bike. Wear should not be a problem on a fixie unless you are doing lots of miles.

You will be able to change the cog on the fixie to one that suits your cycling style - more or fewer teeth - once you get used to it. good luck with learning to ride a fixed gear - it's a skill that does take a bit of learning before it's safe to venture into traffic.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Do you want a fixed-wheel (fixie - pedals always turn with the wheel)) or a single-speed (with a freewheel so you can stop pedalling)?
Your gearing choices may be different accordingly.

boydj

Legendary Member
My first fixie experience was when I did my qualification on the track - a much safer environment than the road for learning to ride a fixed gear. I subsequently bought a fixie for the commute. This was great on the flat, but I live near the top of a significant hill. Getting up was not too much of a problem, but going down was a real issue as I had to ride on the brake to keep the pedal revs manageable. So a freewheel was fitted and the bike was used primarily as a single-speed.

EckyH

Getting up was not too much of a problem, but going down was a real issue as I had to ride on the brake to keep the pedal revs manageable.
Years ago I rode with a fixie up the highest hillmountain (189m) in the area here.
I was so proud that I made it...
...until I realised: "You outsmarted yourself. You have to ride that descend, too. Good luck. You'll need it."

E.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Years ago I rode with a fixie up the highest hillmountain (189m) in the area here.
I was so proud that I made it...
...until I realised: "You outsmarted yourself. You have to ride that descend, too. Good luck. You'll need it."

E.

I used to be able to reach over 200rpm cadence downhill. As an ageing pensioner I find 170rpm is about the max nowadays.

Top Bottom