First time Charity cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colby_84

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong section of the forum but here goes:

I've been asked to take part in a 57 mile bike ride over cycle paths and road for a local charity in a few months time. I don't currently own a bike hence there is a problem!.

My younger brother has purchased an inexpensive Apollo Evade MTB that has fork front suspension (that doesn't lock).

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile changing the tyres on that bike to those that are a little more road worthy rather than the chunky ones...and if the above bike would be suffifcient to complete the cycle?

I know i'd be at a disadvantage compared to others who have road/hybrid bikes but I don't really want to spend a fortune on buying a brand new bike.

Any thoughts/suggestions are most welcome

Thanks in advance.

13 rider

Guru
If the tyres are knobbly mtb ones you will definitely be slowly than people on road bikes especially on the down hills .and climbing will be slower with unlocked suspension . Its depends on your fitness level ,you can do it on the MTB but if you could borrow a different bike it may be easier.seems to be a bit of hassle chaning tyres etc for a one off ride but it will make the bike roll easier

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Fifty seven miles is a good stretch for most riders.

Do you have any cycling or general fitness?

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I think we've all seen non cyclists who try a charity ride and conk out after not many miles.

No need to go into formal training for it, but definitely worth doing a few rides in advance to establish if you can manage the distance.

snorri

Legendary Member
but I don't really want to spend a fortune on buying a brand new bike.
No need to buy a new bike, you could buy a second hand one. Speak to your local bike shop, or perhaps any cycling friends would know of a suitable bike for sale.
Probably best not to go buying from the For Sale column of your local newspaper unless you have the knowledge to assess it before buying.

Reactions: mjr

MikeW-71

Veteran
My younger brother has purchased an inexpensive Apollo Evade MTB that has fork front suspension (that doesn't lock).

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile changing the tyres on that bike to those that are a little more road worthy rather than the chunky ones...and if the above bike would be suffifcient to complete the cycle?

I know i'd be at a disadvantage compared to others who have road/hybrid bikes but I don't really want to spend a fortune on buying a brand new bike.
If you changed the tyres to slicks, it would be much better and quicker on road. Otherwise, as long as the bike is looked after and everything works, it will do the distance just fine. It might not be the nicest to ride, but it'll do it.

A new bike needn't cost a fortune either, a Carrera Subway for a couple of hundred would also do the job and will probably ride better TBH.

As has been said already, the limiting factor will be you and your fitness, so if you haven't cycled much, you'll need to get out there and build up some distance. It'll make the ride a much better experience :smile:

Bryony

Veteran
:welcome: and good luck with your charity ride.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: @colby_84

The tyres will make a big difference but most important is to get out and ride lots to build your strength and stamina. It doesn't have to be intensive training - just ride often and increase your mileage a bit at a time and you'll be surprised what you can do.

Good luck with the challenge and let us know how you're progressing.:thumbsup:

runner

Guru
good luck with the challenge! I did a 100k bike ride via my work in November and really enjoyed the day (even though it rained) and the company...but more importantly the coffee stops and those wonderful home made cakes...kept me going in and out of Bristol.....I enjoyed so much I have entered an 80 mile sportive in bath in July.....now just need to up the training^_^ BTW welcome:welcome:

OP
OP
C

colby_84

Thanks guys,

I know my fitness will come into it a great deal and the plan is to start training with all of us going out a couple of times a week together to get our fitness to the level that we need for the cycle.

I was mostly just wondering if the MTB would seriously affect my performance doing the cycle or if I could get away with using it perhaps but having to put in a little effort.

Cheers for all the comments!

MikeW-71

Veteran
You may lose a couple of mph against road bikes (I'm usually down about that much with my MTB), but even averaging 10mph, it's only 6 hours riding + refreshment breaks.

When you get up to doing two 30 mile rides in the week, and then feel you could have gone further, you'll smash the 60 :smile:

Best of luck!

Top Bottom