First commuter bike. What do I need to get now...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moyster

Regular
Hi everyone. I recently got a Trek dual sport 1 gen 5 my first bike!

I bought some mudguards off ebay that i liked and go on the bike. What other bits do i mainly need to get or can anyone give me some advice.

I don't necessarily need a lock because on either end of my commute it's safely stored. But I do want a decent lock incase on the way home I want to run into the supermarket or something or even if i go out on the weekend. Is getting a diamond rated lock actually worth it? If not what will do?

I need some lights and possibly something to make the handle grips a bit comfier anything I can buy for them or possibly just swapping the handle grips for some different ones maybe?

Oh also need some tools for the bike incase i get a puncture or have any issues.

I don't want a pannier rack I don't think atleast so just going to grab a decent lightweight backpack from somewhere. I don't have much stuff to lug around really.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Tools you need (at least) a good bike multi-tool, a set of tyre levers (get good ones, don't be fooled by multi-tools that claim to have integrated levers, get a separate set of levers), some spare inner tubes, a puncture repair kit, some self adhesive instant patches and a good pump. Those are the basics. Other tools are needed if you are planning to do any maintenance at home.

Yes, you need a decent lock. It all depends where you will be parking your bike, how long for etc etc. Get the very best you can afford.

There's a huge variety of lights available at a huge variety of prices. I'd go for something cheap to begin with. Just go to a bike store like Decathlon and buy some. If you figure out you need something better in future you always have the cheap ones as a backup.

Hand comfort - I'd ride the bike for a bit to see if there really is a problem or whether it's something you get used to.

Lots of people (me included) will advise you to fit a rack as it's much more comfortable and convenient than a backpack. But equally there are many people who are quite happy with backpacks. So suck it and see. If you find you are getting a sweaty back/sore shoulders then you can always upgrade to a rack in future. (Yes it is an upgrade! ;) )

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
@Dogtrousers has pretty much covered everything there. I should add that most on here have 'track' pump for use at home and a small portable one to carry.
You talk of wanting more comfortable grips and these ergonomic ones are good, there are other makes:

View: https://youtu.be/W8VJW_J3QHM?si=sVfVNx7encUecYMR

I'd go for a rack , much better than a sweaty back with a backpack.
A favourite first upgrade is new more puncture proof tyres. Most OE rubber is fairly poor. Lighter will be faster but usually less puncture resistance . Heavier like Marathon Plus are bullet proof. There's always a trade off.
I see you have 50c tyres as standard which are great for comfort but if you need more speed you could swap them for narrower 38c rubber.
Good luck.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Lock wise, I'd get something like a Bordo if not locking up in a high risk area for hours, bracket easy to attach to the bike, imo more flexible in use than a short D lock which can only really be used on Sheffield stands and not fences, lamposts, road signs etc (and a cable if you want to secure your front tyre).
https://www.evanscycles.com/abus-abus-bordo5700kugrip80-99-924678
https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/abus/abus-cobra-cable-140-99-924691#colcode=92469103

Lights wise, are you riding in dark country side or a light urban environment, will be a key decider. I'd go for two lights on the back personally

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Moyster

Regular
What bike post says 8 mile round trip

It ended up just being a little over this morning it says 7.8km on my apple watch. Originally checked with the google maps for the distance. Not much difference though.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Locks, imo, depend on the value of the bike to you, how attractive it will be to thieves and the area in which you live.

Please don't buy tyre levers, spare tube etc and think that's you covered. Practice changing a tube before you find yourself tired, wet and cold without a clue about how to use them.

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs!

OP
OP
M

Moyster

Regular
Tools you need (at least) a good bike multi-tool, a set of tyre levers (get good ones, don't be fooled by multi-tools that claim to have integrated levers, get a separate set of levers), some spare inner tubes, a puncture repair kit, some self adhesive instant patches and a good pump. Those are the basics. Other tools are needed if you are planning to do any maintenance at home.

Yes, you need a decent lock. It all depends where you will be parking your bike, how long for etc etc. Get the very best you can afford.

There's a huge variety of lights available at a huge variety of prices. I'd go for something cheap to begin with. Just go to a bike store like Decathlon and buy some. If you figure out you need something better in future you always have the cheap ones as a backup.

Hand comfort - I'd ride the bike for a bit to see if there really is a problem or whether it's something you get used to.

Lots of people (me included) will advise you to fit a rack as it's much more comfortable and convenient than a backpack. But equally there are many people who are quite happy with backpacks. So suck it and see. If you find you are getting a sweaty back/sore shoulders then you can always upgrade to a rack in future. (Yes it is an upgrade! ;) )

Legend thank you very much! I'll grab the basics today like tools & puncture repairs and some spare inner tubes just to have them to hand. Likeliness is i'm going to be parking outside supermarkets to run in and that's about it. I've insured the bike anyway but still i'd rather not go through the process of getting it nicked and having to get another one. I'll grab a diamond rated lock. It reduces the insurance anyway. What do you think of the UV marking on the bikes or would you not bother on mine? It probably applies for bikes in the £1500-£2000+ i guess. I'll give the grips a bit of use probably my hands getting used to them...

Now you've mentioned sweating... I wear a backpack hiking and it drenches my back with sweat. I could do without that before work. A rack may have to go on. I'll give the backpack a go for a bit and see how it goes.

OP
OP
M

Moyster

Regular
@Dogtrousers has pretty much covered everything there. I should add that most on here have 'track' pump for use at home and a small portable one to carry.
You talk of wanting more comfortable grips and these ergonomic ones are good, there are other makes:

View: https://youtu.be/W8VJW_J3QHM?si=sVfVNx7encUecYMR

I'd go for a rack , much better than a sweaty back with a backpack.
A favourite first upgrade is new more puncture proof tyres. Most OE rubber is fairly poor. Lighter will be faster but usually less puncture resistance . Heavier like Marathon Plus are bullet proof. There's always a trade off.
I see you have 50c tyres as standard which are great for comfort but if you need more speed you could swap them for narrower 38c rubber.
Good luck.

I'll take @Dogtrousers advice on the grips and give them some time. I'll wear them in see how them feel in a few months. Those grips look great though. A rack may have to go on I could do without the sweaty back! I'll have a look into the tyres. I hadn't even thought about swapping them but it would be nice to swap and see how some others feel i'll have a look at the Marathon Plus. It may be worth spending the money on them than anything else at the moment!

Thank you!!

OP
OP
M

Moyster

Regular
Lock wise, I'd get something like a Bordo if not locking up in a high risk area for hours, bracket easy to attach to the bike, imo more flexible in use than a short D lock which can only really be used on Sheffield stands and not fences, lamposts, road signs etc (and a cable if you want to secure your front tyre).
https://www.evanscycles.com/abus-abus-bordo5700kugrip80-99-924678
https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/abus/abus-cobra-cable-140-99-924691#colcode=92469103

Lights wise, are you riding in dark country side or a light urban environment, will be a key decider. I'd go for two lights on the back personally

That lock looks great. Nice that I can mount it to the bike aswell by the looks of it! Cable is a great idea. I've seen people carrying bikes with no front wheel through the area i commute through....

I'm just going through a light urban area. All well lit area generally.

OP
OP
M

Moyster

Regular
Locks, imo, depend on the value of the bike to you, how attractive it will be to thieves and the area in which you live.

Please don't buy tyre levers, spare tube etc and think that's you covered. Practice changing a tube before you find yourself tired, wet and cold without a clue about how to use them.

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs!

Your not don't worry! Because i'd for sure have youtube up whilst attempting to change the tyre. I'll give a few tyre changes a go at home for sure.

Top Bottom