Finally getting back on the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

backonthebike

After two years of letting my poor bike sit in the shed and me gaining almost 60lbs I am finally getting back at what i love. my bike, a 1981 cannondale, has undergone a complete overhaul. I am ready to get this weight off plus some. I am getting married next spring and would love to be fit and trim, but at 240lbs and 5' 9" its going to be a challenge. my last riding log from almost 2 years ago was a 35 mile round trip. Needless to say I just cant do that anymore let alone tare up and down hills like I use to. For the last 5 weeks I have been riding 4-6 miles per day, 6 days a week. I am slowly building back up. I can feel myself gaining muscle and stamina slowly. unfortunately I have run across a problem I have never experienced before. foot pain. its always about two miles in, the outside of my feet, mostly my right foot starts to hurt. . so I have to ask. Is this because of my weight?With the help of a seasoned cyclist I have adjusted my foot and body positioning and I know that is not the problem. The only other thing I can think of is that my shoes are either not giving me enough support or flexibility. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Captain Scarlet

Über Member
Hello and welcome.

I'm afraid I'm not knowledgable to help with your foot issue but best of luck with reaching your targets.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What shoes and pedals? Is it where they make contact?

I've had pedals with just a slight thinning of the grip where the platform meets the axle and they caused pain if the shoes were too soft soled (because the sole didn't spread the pressure from the narrow part enough).

Last edited:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I would doubt that it's a weight issue, unless you stand in the pedals a lot, I think you are on the right track with "fitting"

Is it a cramp or numbness or is it more of a soreness? Also are you clipped in?
If you are clipped it's possible that the cleat is out of line and you are twisting somehow. If it is a numbness then it's most defiantly a mis fitting shoe...although...I get a bit of numbness sometimes in my outer toes.. It feels like a trapped nerve or as if I am getting pins and needles. It seems to be related to my seat position so.I find if I stand up...or stop and stand about for a bit, the blood flow returns and all is well.
The more I ride, the less this happens to me, so maybe it's a training thing.

Ern1e

Über Member
Hi and welcome I also am not able to help on the foot issue but you may like to take a look in the Weight watchers thread in training and nutrishion. You may find some help etc for shifting some weight,plus ideas for meals.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
After two years of letting my poor bike sit in the shed and me gaining almost 60lbs I am finally getting back at what i love. my bike, a 1981 cannondale, has undergone a complete overhaul. I am ready to get this weight off plus some. I am getting married next spring and would love to be fit and trim, but at 240lbs and 5' 9" its going to be a challenge. my last riding log from almost 2 years ago was a 35 mile round trip. Needless to say I just cant do that anymore let alone tare up and down hills like I use to. For the last 5 weeks I have been riding 4-6 miles per day, 6 days a week. I am slowly building back up. I can feel myself gaining muscle and stamina slowly. unfortunately I have run across a problem I have never experienced before. foot pain. its always about two miles in, the outside of my feet, mostly my right foot starts to hurt. . so I have to ask. Is this because of my weight?With the help of a seasoned cyclist I have adjusted my foot and body positioning and I know that is not the problem. The only other thing I can think of is that my shoes are either not giving me enough support or flexibility. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Firtly, good luck with getting back into shape. It sounds to me like your shoes could be too flexible allowing your foot to curl over the side of the peddle, what peddles and shoes are you using?

Welcome to CC. Not sure i can advise with your problem but i'm sure someone will be able to offer some help. Good luck . Mike

OP
OP
backonthebike

backonthebike

after an adjustment at the chiropractor and some new shoes my feet no longer hurt when i ride. as it would turn out my hips were out of alignment causing my heel to turn in, plus i had a pinched nerve which was probably not helping matters. who would have thought : )

Top Bottom