ffs - creaking seatpost? :s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
Ok.... the frame seems to be giving a nasty creaking noise when I am cycling - I think it is the seatpost ( I do have a long seatpost) .... of course my first instinct was "overtightened"....which it was. However I have it as loose as I can now (within safety) and it still creaks..

Other possibilities could be the rear brake, but I am unsure how this is creaking. If not then I guess the frame is buggered?

:sad: Getting really really pissed off with constant bits of both me and the bike breaking.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Strip it down, clean it thoroughly, re-assemble it. If the creak persists, move on to the next likely candidate.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Mr Pig said:
More likely to be the seat itself.

Try pedaling standing up to see if it goes away.

seat too tight or too loose?

I'm worried as the bike took a nasty knock last sunday...hope it isn't some form of structural damage

yenrod

Alu' does creak (inherently, over long lengths) - have you an steel or a alu' frame :sad:

...could be the saddle rails...?

Mr Pig

montage said:
seat too tight or too loose?

Not necessarily either. The seat is an assembly so you can get creaking of he seat rails in the (usually) plastic seat body etc. If you try standing up that'll at least tell you if it's the seat/seat post or some other part of the bike.

What sort of knock? Any visible damage to the frame?

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Good news.....it isnt the seatpost!

Bad news....frame is a write off :biggrin:

Good news...getting taught how to assemble a bike while my new bike is being assembled with a new frame....bad news the frame will cost more than I have..good news is that it usually costs three times what I am going to pay...so is a top end carbon frame.

So mixed feelings on this one.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Silver lining and all - what failed - guess a crack or failed weld ?

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
carbon stay on the portside has "pulled out" a little ....and there is a naaaaaasty clicking from the frame (sounds like you are putting a metal tube in a vice....that kind of clicking)

Is it impossible to repair the carbon stay being pulled out a little?

Mr Pig

Friend of mine has an aluminium frame with carbon stays, I must admit that I don't like the idea much. He thinks it's good, but then he would ;0)

I'd just be happy that you're getting a good frame. In a years time you will have completely forgotten about the cost of the frame but you'll be enjoying it for years. You never regret buying quality.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Mr Pig said:
Friend of mine has an aluminium frame with carbon stays, I must admit that I don't like the idea much. He thinks it's good, but then he would ;0)

I'd just be happy that you're getting a good frame. In a years time you will have completely forgotten about the cost of the frame but you'll be enjoying it for years. You never regret buying quality.

unless I crash again :biggrin:

Mr Pig

montage said:
unless I crash again :biggrin:

Well that's it. Does tend to happen. I fell off this morning, nice soft landing though although my mates said it looked spectacular! ;0) I think I'd be terrified to ride a carbon bike. Having said that I'd rather have a full carbon than two different materials nailed together.

Top Bottom