Emergency vehicles and traffic light cameras?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
In Southampton, there are quite a lot of traffic light cameras - the ones that take your picture if you run a red light.

Let's say you're stopped at traffic lights, suddenly you hear a siren, it's coming from behind, and it's a dirty great fire engine. The street is narrow and only way you can get out of it's way and let the cars behind get out of the way too, is to go all the way through the red light, and as a result you get your picture taken by the camera, before the fire engine has got through.

Would "they" let you off that?

It hasn't actually happened, but I was just wondering because there's one place in Southampton where I saw it potentially almost happen - the driver getting out of the way couldn't really do anything else, except hold up the fire engine, which would have definitely been illegal. It seems a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

BSRU

A Human Being
I'm sure if someone argued their case of the necessity of getting out of the way of an emergency vehicles they would not let the fine stand, emergency vehicles have to document where and when they used their lights/sirens.

Dan B

Disengaged member
The law is clear: crossing a red light is illegal no matter what's behind you - and it's not illegal to obstruct an emergency vehicle if the only way to escape it is to break the law. "They" may or may not let you off, it all depends on what "their" policy is locally. These kind of "poor beleagured motorist" stories pop up in the press from time to time

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Should let you off if you state what happened, they can check the records to see which ambulance was on a blue light call and then check its route (helps if its perhaps behind you in the shot lol)

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
The law is clear: crossing a red light is illegal no matter what's behind you - and it's not illegal to obstruct an emergency vehicle if the only way to escape it is to break the law. "They" may or may not let you off, it all depends on what "their" policy is locally. These kind of "poor beleagured motorist" stories pop up in the press from time to time

Could equally well apply to a cyclist too ... the place I'm thinking of, I wouldn't want to be on my bike, squeezed up against the railings, with a fire engine coming past with inches to spare ... I'd prefer to ride through the red light.

Dan B

Disengaged member
As a cyclist you also have the option of dismounting and wheeling your bike through the red light. Although there's not much chance of being done by a red light camera on a bike anyway ...

BSRU

A Human Being

I always thought was illegal to obstruct an emergency vehicle with lights/siren on.
If a Police officer on the road directs you to drive through a red light/wrong way up a one way street you have to obey them and you will not be prosecuted.
It is something worth investigating when time allows.

Mad at urage

You can and sometimes will be prosecuted. This thread has a fair amount of discussion on the subject, including a case where the evidence of the emergency vehicle's (union?) representative shot the driver's case to bits (i.e. she should not have moved through the red light) http://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthre...for-an-Emergency-vehicle-when-lights-flashing!!

siadwell

Guru
The law is clear: crossing a red light is illegal no matter what's behind you - and it's not illegal to obstruct an emergency vehicle if the only way to escape it is to break the law.

Yep. Rule 219 in the Highway Code (my bolding):

"Emergency and Incident Support vehicles. You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or Highways Agency Traffic Officer and Incident Support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you."

Having said that, I'd have sympathy for anyone who pulled through a red light because a fire engine is sat behind them with the driver leaning on his air horn.

classic33

Leg End Member
Done this & got a telling off from the police, simply for going through the light. Asked as to why I'd done it, I pointed to the ambulance passing us on blues & twos. Same officer did nothing to help its progress through the traffic. He seemed unaware of the sirens & flashing blue lights.

Through the ligts, mounting the pavement at the crossing & stopping, on the pavement, once clear of it. When first heard, uncertain of its direction other than it was getting closer. I've also mounted the central reservation of a major(two A roads) roundabout with fire engines approaching from two directions My left & from behind on the route I'd just come.

I felt justified at doing what I had because of the vehicle. Most do not misuse the system, be it police, ambulance or fire service. And they are not used for fun so if I'm able to make their job of getting where their needed, I'll help. Green lights would get the same response.

http://www.bluelightaware.org.uk/

tyred

Legendary Member
I know someone who failed his driving test because he stopped to allow an ambulance with sirens on to pull out of a side road.

Top Bottom