Edinburgh checking in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hopey

Hi all, Jordan from Edinburgh here. I made my first post last week stating that my new bike budget had been cut in half due to car issues and was asking for advice on a new purchase. Well it turns out we needed a new car so my bike budget is effectively nil. With a job that requires me to travel around the country every week and a family to look after, a car simply has to take priority!

Desperate to get back on the road after almost 2 years, I looked out my old Ridgeback Genesis Day 00. I bought it second hand for next to nothing from a lovely elderly fella who rode it once. I rode it for a long time, but left it in storage for a while. Brought it out this week - It needed a new back wheel, new brake cables and a bit of tuning up, but it's more than ridable now. Since it's pretty much a road bike with flat bars, I added some bar ends to it. I may throw some fatter tyres on it (26mm atm) and raise the handlebars a bit because I'm sure the frame is too small for me and the seatpost seized when I left it neglected in storage. It's comfortable enough, but could be better. I'll fix it over time.

Anyways, commuted to work this morning then quickly nipped out on it to grab lunch just now. I'm over the moon; being back on the road on two wheels is wonderful.

If you're in Edinburgh and an overly enthusiastic fella starts a conversation with you while waiting in a cycle box, it's probably me. I apologise.

J

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Hi all, Jordan from Edinburgh here. I made my first post last week stating that my new bike budget had been cut in half due to car issues and was asking for advice on a new purchase. Well it turns out we needed a new car so my bike budget is effectively nil. With a job that requires me to travel around the country every week and a family to look after, a car simply has to take priority!
The job should provide the car then. I know it won't, but it should. Flaming externalisation of costs onto the workers.

Anyways, commuted to work this morning then quickly nipped out on it to grab lunch just now. I'm over the moon; being back on the road on two wheels is wonderful.
:thumbsup:

If you're in Edinburgh and an overly enthusiastic fella starts a conversation with you while waiting in a cycle box, it's probably me. I apologise.
Not necessarily. I might be on one of my infrequent visits :laugh:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
The job should provide the car then. I know it won't, but it should. Flaming externalisation of costs onto the workers.

:thumbsup:

Not necessarily. I might be on one of my infrequent visits :laugh:

Actually reading that also I would agree, of course, you need to work out what your mileage rate is and that gets cut quite a bit from 45p a mile after a certain level, 5k miles maybe ???? A bit naughty of employers really. In fact down right penny pinching bar.......ds

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Welcome, welcome. :hello:

Feel free to say hello if you see me. (I will be on 3 wheels).

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
:hello: @RealDealWheel and :welcome: to CycleChat from the north of Embra ! :wahhey:

Which part of the city are you most usually to be found in ? .... (just so I know where to avoid :laugh: )

We are well fortunate to have so many good cycle paths - the old railway lines - around the city and for access to the Lothians and Fife. :bicycle: You may not manage Hawe's Brae quite yet but crossing the FRB is quite fun the first few times - it's steeper than one imagines ! :heat:

OP
OP
Hopey

Hopey

:hello: @RealDealWheel and :welcome: to CycleChat from the north of Embra ! :wahhey:

Which part of the city are you most usually to be found in ? .... (just so I know where to avoid :laugh: )

We are well fortunate to have so many good cycle paths - the old railway lines - around the city and for access to the Lothians and Fife. :bicycle: You may not manage Hawe's Brae quite yet but crossing the FRB is quite fun the first few times - it's steeper than one imagines ! :heat:

Thanks Scoosh! Craigmillar, so you'll often find me blasting along the innocent railway on my way to work/town.

I managed the fourth road bridge a couple of years ago. I underestimated it, much to the amusement of passing cyclists! Never left the bike once though, even after someone pointed out that I had "doozy of a buckle" on my rear wheel. I plan to tackle it again soon, but with a bit more widsom this time...

OP
OP
Hopey

Hopey

Also, while you guys are technically correct about my job supplying my car, I must admit something; I have two jobs, one of which is a self-employed job. The self employed job is the one that requires the car! My own doing.

Top Bottom