Ebike battery charging.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brompton Newbe

Hi,
I've recently purchased a Brompton Pline electric bike.
Can anyone give me any info on whether it is possible to charge my battery from my Land-rover Freelander.
I tour GB and Europe a lot and sleep in the motor. Not having access to mains electricity, I need to find an alternative to charge the bike battery.
Thanks in advance.

Well - you can get converters than change a car "cigarette lighter" socket to a mains type plug
like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-...ug&nsdOptOutParam=true&qid=1728234671&sr=8-28
SO I presume that could be used. The charger doesn;t use a LOT of power so it should be ok but I can;t be sure

I have seen some types of ebike battery charger that can have an alternative which does this directly but most don't

CXRAndy

Guru
You need an invertor 12V to 240V to connect your e-bike charger. Most e-bike chargers are either 2 or 3A charge rate, which is 24-36W. Your bike according to Google has an 8.44Ah battery, so will need 4-5 hours at 2A charge rate to fully charge.

Beware- This might flatten your car battery, to the point you cant start the vehicle in the morning. So better to have some sort of split charging system to charge up a second leisure battery for doing the task of charging your ebike

So short answer -yes it can be done

OP
OP
B

Brompton Newbe

Thank you.
I do have an inverter but I’m certain it isn’t powerful enough.
I think it need a min of a 500 watt inverter and also think it has to be connected directly to the car battery.
Need to be certain, or it could end in disaster.
Going to try calling into a caravan place, see if they can help,
Thanks for replying thought.

You need an invertor 12V to 240V to connect your e-bike charger. Most e-bike chargers are either 2 or 3A charge rate, which is 24-36W. Your bike according to Google has an 8.44Ah battery, so will need 4-5 hours at 2A charge rate to fully charge.

Beware- This might flatten your car battery, to the point you cant start the vehicle in the morning. So better to have some sort of split charging system to charge up a second leisure battery for doing the task of charging your ebike

So short answer -yes it can be done

Or only run it when the engine is running - such as when you are travelling
which is fine is you are moving from place to place - but if you are parking up for a few dyas and riding in between so the car/van is not moving then you will need to be careful about battery drainage and look into solutions like above

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
More civilised countries have public e-bike chargers. Some are branded "ecotap" in the Netherlands. Are there not enough of those yet?

Best may be if anyone makes a EV-to-ebike charger. For some reason, EV charging points are spreading faster than e-bike charge points.

It may be worth carrying a caravan-to-3-pin converter, which might help if you could rent a municipal caravan pitch to park in for a few hours, like some French towns have.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Converting 12v to 240v, to power a charger which probably steps it down to 36v or 48v is not terribly efficient, since each step of the process will not be 100% efficient. I would first be enquiring of Brompton if a 12v charger is available, if not, I would probably take the risk of searching on Internet (eBay, Amazon etc). Only if I could not find a 12v version of the charger would I take the Inverter route.

More civilised countries have public e-bike chargers. Some are branded "ecotap" in the Netherlands. Are there not enough of those yet?

Best may be if anyone makes a EV-to-ebike charger. For some reason, EV charging points are spreading faster than e-bike charge points.

It may be worth carrying a caravan-to-3-pin converter, which might help if you could rent a municipal caravan pitch to park in for a few hours, like some French towns have.

I am confused by this
It takes so long for any significant amount of charge to trickle into my ebike that it would not be worth connecting it unless I was there for a few hours
I suppose it would be nice at the sort of place where I might want to spend that amount of time - such as a museum or theme park
If I was leaving it while I went to work then that would be good - but then it would be connected for 8 hours (or whatever) so you would need a connector for every person who turns up with an ebike

I suppose the same applies to company car parks with EV charging for cars (etc) - how does that work???

Top Bottom