E bike chain keeps coming off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteCo

I have an e-bike with a single chainring on the front. The chain comes off the chainring when I change gear. The people at the place I bought it say it's because I change down more than one gear at at time. The mechanism is such that if you push the lever you can shift one gear or several gears depending on has far you move the lever. If shifting more than one gear can cause the chain to come off, why to the manufacturers not limit the lever movement to only shift one gear?

I have an e-bike with a single chainring on the front. The chain comes off the chainring when I change gear. The people at the place I bought it say it's because I change down more than one gear at at time. The mechanism is such that if you push the lever you can shift one gear or several gears depending on has far you move the lever. If shifting more than one gear can cause the chain to come off, why to the manufacturers not limit the lever movement to only shift one gear?

The people at the shop you got it from are talking rollocks, multiple shifts should not derail the chain. If they can't sort it out one of these will keep the chain in place -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30459866...W9UARBDB7LNB/+AKrl2iK7oQ==|tkp:Bk9SR8KAt_iPZA

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Bit difficult to diagnose at a distance but if you can post some pics of the installation and the derailleur from behind we might be able to figure something.

I've got a 38T by 8 setup and had the same issue, my LBS has just fitted a thick/thin chain ring to stop this. As it's an ebike I couldn't fit a chain guard myself, and my attempts at doing what the LBS did were met with failure.

Pete.H

I have a specialized turbo Vado SL. I too suffered chain drops in the same circumstances. It was fitted with a wave style chainring. I changed it to a Trek narrow wide chainring. Solved the problem immediately and restored my confidence in the bike
FYI it's impossible to fit a chain to a narrow wide chainring wrong but a wave chainring needs to be fitted in the correct position There is a pattern on the inside edge to show you how.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PeteCo

Thanks for this. It's very encouraging. Mine is a Vado sl, and they've suggested changing the chainring.

Top Bottom