Downs Link (Guildford - Shoreham by Sea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kingspirit

Hi Guys!

Just a quick qestion about the Downs Link cycling route.
Is any of you did that route? How many hours did that take you to complete the route? How easy is the route?

Cheers !

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve done it in two stints, over 2 days
Some of it is pretty rough, not roadbike suitable unless happy to get off and walk.
It would be a long day to do in one, it can be slow going as busy with peds who of course have priority.
There’s probably a detailed route on Komoot. It’s also hard to find the start near Guildford!!!

Gillstay

Veteran
We did it in the day from Guildford and it was a good days run ,but quite difficult to spot the pubs at lunchtime. We enjoyed it.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I've done the bottom end between Partridge Green and Shoreham. Whilst you'd want hybrid / gravel/ touring tyres, that end was pretty smooth flat and swift progress, bar some twiddly bits crossing roads. 3-4 hours riding time (YMMV) should give you ample time to do the whole thing, but obviously you need to stop in some pubs en route. The Partridge was pleasant enough.

We did it late pm early / evening and didn't encounter many walkers, the weekend could change that.
It was significantly easier than a couple of days on the South Downs Way that it was a prelude to! That was proper rough and hilly.

The first bit thru Guildford looks a bit fiddly until you get to Shalford and pick up an old railway line, link to route on ride with GPS
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/39891278 (has a bit extra on end to the accom we stayed at !!)

lazybloke

Priest of the cult of Chris Rea
It is fiddly from Guildford to Shalford. For that you need to follow the Cycle route 22 for about 2-3 miles. This takes you (on shared paths) to the downslink itself. Signposts are inconsistent so it's worth having a map on a phone/GPS (or even a quaint paper version).

You then have about 35 miles on the Downslink to Shoreham (Cycle route 223). Next stop, the sea!

It's mostly traffic free, and the surface is initially buttery smooth tarmac. Of course that soon gives way to dirt, but even that is well-packed and smooth.

I did 25 miles of it last month, and despite the wet weather it was seemingly well drained and largely dry, just a couple of muddy quagmires to negotiate.

The only bit I've not done is approx 7 miles from Partridge Green to Steyning, but @T4tomo states that's also smooth.

But there are a couple of rough sections, so a bike with big tyres would be good for comfort.
The rough bits that stick in my mind are:
1) A steep descent near Rudgwick which is twisty, narrow, lined with trees, populated by dogs and pedestrians, and has a surprisingly loose stony surface.
2) Some gravel between Steyning and Shoreham

That said, I had no problems doing any of the above on my road bike (25mm slicks), but it's an old bike that I don't have to feel precious about.

OP
OP
K

kingspirit

I've done the bottom end between Partridge Green and Shoreham. Whilst you'd want hybrid / gravel/ touring tyres, that end was pretty smooth flat and swift progress, bar some twiddly bits crossing roads. 3-4 hours riding time (YMMV) should give you ample time to do the whole thing, but obviously you need to stop in some pubs en route. The Partridge was pleasant enough.

We did it late pm early / evening and didn't encounter many walkers, the weekend could change that.
It was significantly easier than a couple of days on the South Downs Way that it was a prelude to! That was proper rough and hilly.

The first bit thru Guildford looks a bit fiddly until you get to Shalford and pick up an old railway line, link to route on ride with GPS
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/39891278 (has a bit extra on end to the accom we stayed at !!)

Hi! Just to clarify it took you 3-4 hours from Partridge Green to Shoreham? Cheers

OP
OP
K

kingspirit

It is fiddly from Guildford to Shalford. For that you need to follow the Cycle route 22 for about 2-3 miles. This takes you (on shared paths) to the downslink itself. Signposts are inconsistent so it's worth having a map on a phone/GPS (or even a quaint paper version).

You then have about 35 miles on the Downslink to Shoreham (Cycle route 223). Next stop, the sea!

It's mostly traffic free, and the surface is initially buttery smooth tarmac. Of course that soon gives way to dirt, but even that is well-packed and smooth.

I did 25 miles of it last month, and despite the wet weather it was seemingly well drained and largely dry, just a couple of muddy quagmires to negotiate.

The only bit I've not done is approx 7 miles from Partridge Green to Steyning, but @T4tomo states that's also smooth.

But there are a couple of rough sections, so a bike with big tyres would be good for comfort.
The rough bits that stick in my mind are:
1) A steep descent near Rudgwick which is twisty, narrow, lined with trees, populated by dogs and pedestrians, and has a surprisingly loose stony surface.​
2) Some gravel between Steyning and Shoreham​
That said, I had no problems doing any of the above on my road bike (25mm slicks), but it's an old bike that I don't have to feel precious about.

Thanks! How long did it take you get the 25 miles done?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
@kingspirit - Its about 36 miles the full way - if you ride at 9mph it will take you 4 hours, if you ride at 12 mph it will take you 3 hours etc

What speed do you normally ride on light offroad flat-ish former railway lines? Do the maths, factor in what refreshment / faffing stops you would normally do and there is your answer.

lazybloke

Priest of the cult of Chris Rea
Thanks! How long did it take you get the 25 miles done?

Only have partial info as I accidentally deleted my GPS recording at Cranleigh, but on the rest of it averaged just over 10 miles an hour on a bright day when it was quite busy with other riders, dogs, peds, etc .
4 hours seems a reasonable timescale for the cycling, but that's only allowing moving time. We wasted at least another two hours cafes, taking photos, nattering, mucking about at disused stations....

Hmm, tempted to do it again now.

Top Bottom