DIY electric Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Probably no more or less than about 75% of the battery vendors out there. It'll be treated with the same levels of suspicion as all the Li-Ion batteries I own.

You'll need a bit more than suspicion to help you if it goes all willie-pete on yo' ass.

Unless you're charging it outdoors, 10 or more metres from the house, you'll need more than suspicion to protect you, like a 3" thick cast iron box with asbestos lining.

I've heard of folk putting them in biscuit tins and the like thinking that'll protect them if it goes off. It won't.

As for the rest of it, great project.

albion

Guru
That seems cheap... does it include a battery?

EDIT: even if it does, apparently their standard battery is only good for 9 miles...

Tiny battery. Good enough for short commutes.
A fit for the typical Brompton user.

OP
OP
T

templehead

You'll need a bit more than suspicion to help you if it goes all willie-pete on yo' ass.

Unless you're charging it outdoors, 10 or more metres from the house, you'll need more than suspicion to protect you, like a 3" thick cast iron box with asbestos lining.

I've heard of folk putting them in biscuit tins and the like thinking that'll protect them if it goes off. It won't.

As for the rest of it, great project.

It won't be in a biscuit tin. It'll be charged in a metal shed far enough from the house not to matter if it goes up, along with the battery from the Dawes and the two 72V packs from my Bumblebee Classic.

OP
OP
T

templehead

Now the hysteria about the battery is out of the way, let's see about that refund:

1720120514167.png

Result! Definitely worth the five minutes it took to complain. More when the front tyre, tube and throttle turn up...

OP
OP
T

templehead

Bit of progress... front wheel is on, and I've made up the bracket that will carry the battery... main job was extending the shelf upwards with a piece of 2mm chequer plate:

1723138859253.jpeg

The battery slides on downwards and can be locked in place with the supplied key. The handlebars can still fold down so we're all good on that front.

1723138977344.jpeg

Next job is to find a suitable place to site the controller box.

OP
OP
T

templehead

1724515089223.jpeg

The box I bought for the controller was a seat post one, therefore the brackets won't go round the Brompton's fat crossbar, so I cable tied it on for the purposes of running the wiring. I'll find a better way of achieving the same thing when I have a bit more time, possibly a couple of U-bolts?

The main loom with connectors for throttle, brake levers and instruments is all plugged in and tidied up, next job is to join up the battery leads and find a bit of flexible conduit to keep them safe. I also need to order a motor extension cable, as the one in the kit is about a metre long and I only need about 200mm.

Then I've got the problem of the motion sensor to deal with... the disc with the magnets is fitted OK but the kit comes with a sensor on a spring and a couple of bits of double sided tape... bodging this isn't an option (I'd rather not anyway!) so I'll have to have a root around and see if I can find something appropriate in the garage. Hopefully not long now until it's on the road, more soon...

Top Bottom