Difficulty removing rear wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maubha

I have just completed a build onto a Scott Addict 10 2021 following a crash. I have taken the di2 groupset off the old bike (undamaged) and placed onto this frame. Frame was sold with forks, seat post and mech hangers.

The trouble I'm having is that when removing the rear wheel the bottom cog of the cassette is catching on the top jockey wheel. Nothing I do can get the jockey wheel to travel far enough to easily release the wheel as I used to be able to do on the old bike.

Any suggestions?

Sharky

Guru
bottom cog
Do you mean the biggest or the smallest cog?

Maybe a photo of the RD might help.

Reactions: C R

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have that problem on my DIY 6-speed bike. In my case it happens because I made the cassette from old sprockets and spacers (so the biggest sprocket is 4 places nearer the outside than it would have been on the donor cassette).

I have to pull the derailleur out of the way by hand to get the rear wheel in or out. It isn't easy to do so I turn the bike upside down to do it.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I have just completed a build onto a Scott Addict 10 2021 following a crash. I have taken the di2 groupset off the old bike (undamaged) and placed onto this frame. Frame was sold with forks, seat post and mech hangers.

The trouble I'm having is that when removing the rear wheel the bottom cog of the cassette is catching on the top jockey wheel. Nothing I do can get the jockey wheel to travel far enough to easily release the wheel as I used to be able to do on the old bike.

Any suggestions?

is the chain on the smallest cog when trying to remove the wheel. that always helps, then just tweak the RD arm back by hand?

Alex321

Guru
With my bike, I struggle unless I have it cros-chained small ring to smallest sprocket.

I do wonder if I maybe have my chain a link or two shorter than ideal.

OP
OP
M

maubha

Sorry all, been away and hadn't checked responses.
Thanks for those who have offered support.
is the chain on the smallest cog when trying to remove the wheel. that always helps, then just tweak the RD arm back by hand?
Yes in smallest cog. Attempted shifting by hand but there isn't enough movement backwards to allow easy removal. Never had this issue with any bike I've had or tweaked.

OP has not been back to benefit from all your constructive (ish) comments, with @ColinJ winning the edge case prize.
Given the costly F&F and Di2, I reckon this is trolling. Honestly, who would have the confidence and competence to install Di2 on a bike without the 'expertise' to remove a rear wheel where a pesky RD cage gets in the way.
"the bottom cog of the cassette is catching on the top jockey wheel. Nothing I do can get the jockey wheel to travel far enough to easily release the wheel"
In extremis, remove the RD and then the wheel. Reinstall RD.
How did the wheel get in there in the first place?
Thanks for the useful reply... Plenty of expertise to install and sort most issues. Attempted all the fixes I've read/spoken to other club members about so reaching out more widely. Nothing helpful to say, say nothing at all.

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome:
Let us know how you get on. I can see nothing in the comments above which have helped you solve this challenge.
I suggested a way of getting the wheel out.
I guess you could remove the chain as another way of creating space.
How did you get the wheel in in the first place btw? What goes in ought to come out.

Alex321

Guru
:welcome:
Let us know how you get on. I can see nothing in the comments above which have helped you solve this challenge.
I suggested a way of getting the wheel out.
I guess you could remove the chain as another way of creating space.
How did you get the wheel in in the first place btw? What goes in ought to come out.

It's possible it was put in by the bike shop - before they fitted the chain.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Mod note:
Some posts removed ie those off topic, unhelpful or just plain rude.

OP last seen on 24 August! Let's hope they managed to take their rear wheel out past the pesky Di2 RD cage/guide pulley.
Edit: Imagine the angst and expense: install Di2 on a frame and then can't remove the wheel! I guess the cassette might have been totally over-specification.
I guess we'll never know. So this thread fails to afford the wider community any new knowledge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom