Different Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Two of my bikes have identical measurements (reach, saddle height, etc, etc) but they both feel different when riding them. Why is that?

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Two of my bikes have identical measurements (reach, saddle height, etc, etc) but they both feel different when riding them. Why is that?

Could be frame angles or any number of things

vickster

Legendary Member
Are they made of the same material, have the same size and type of tyre, same level of component wear, same tyre pressures, same saddle, same pedals, same bar tape etc etc etc?
If they aren't identical in every way, of course they can feel different (your thread title says they are different) :wacko: Even if not the same colour as obviously black bikes are much slower and red are the quickest ;)

How are you defining 'feel different'?

Sharky

Guru
What are the wheelbase measurements?
i.e. axle to axle

My Ribble winter bike (The blue one) has a wheelbase approaching 40" and is a bit less lively than my Focus, which has a wheel base just over 38".

Alex321

Guru

Reach and saddle heights are not the only measurements. Things like the angle of the front fork (even if only a few degrees different) can make a massive difference to handling.

If you stand the two bikes next to each other, you will almost certainly see places where the frames are slightly different shapes.

Also the weight of the bike and the materials used make a difference.

Witzend

All of the above...
Whilst the dimensions may be the same, frame geometry; frame material; tyre size/pressure; saddle type; seatpost/handlebar material and even bar tape could give you a different 'feel'.
How many times have we seen pro racers change back to their 'original' bikes after swapping to a supposedly identical spare when they've had a mechanical because it doesn't feel the same.
I think everyone has nailed it here - although for me, geometry will be the main culprit.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I have identical; favourite grips, pedals and seats on my two most ridden bikes to lessen geometry differences, bike types etc. And of course therefore make me feel more 'at home'. The beater has very close looking / feeling parts - but just slightly cheaper versions of.........

Last edited:

Fredo76

Über Member
Add to the above possibilities wheel weight, especially differences rim/tire/tube weight around the circumference of the wheel can make a considerable difference in the liveliness of the ride.

Top Bottom