Dawes Stratos large frame, suit 6foot+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
This bike was offered to me following a request on my works intranet for a roadie to play with but it is too big for me (5'10). The owner is 6'5" but he can't use it anymore due to a back injury.

It is approx 20 years old & he's had it from new, bought from Harry Halls in Manchester & it has its original Shimano 105 groupset with a later addition of 105 STI brake/shifters.

The images are taken straight out of the garage where it has been for a number of years so aren't showing it spick and span but it doesn't look that bad for a prolonged hibernation

It's a Reynolds 531 frame and asking on here before and Googling, it seems to be a bit of a rarity of a bike and further up the Dawes range than the generic build and rebadge frames they were making around the time.

I've said I'll offer it on a couple of forums I frequent (Here and Bikeradar) as he'd rather see it ridden again than doing nothing in his garage.

It's for sale in Bolton & he's asked for offers in the region of £150.

DSC_1_zpsa92d33e1.jpg
DSC_2_zps55993c81.jpg
DSC_3_zps88ae8e39.jpg
DSC_8_zps2619d506.jpg
DSC_7_zpsf2c761fd.jpg
DSC_5_zps2f431bf6.jpg
DSC_6_zpse934fdc1.jpg

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
nice colour scheme but too big for me

Being 6' 5" and in Bolton that would make a great project bike for me as frames my size don't come around too often.

Sadly I'd only want it for the frameset, and as such it's a bit too dear for me :sad:

I wish him every success though.

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Being 6' 5" and in Bolton that would make a great project bike for me as frames my size don't come around too often.

Sadly I'd only want it for the frameset, and as such it's a bit too dear for me :sad:

I wish him every success though.

Offers in the region of - I suspect a bit of negotiation wouldn't hurt - if you want to PM me a contact number I'll put you in touch

I'll ask if he minds me passing out his mobile number to people interested (sorry, my bad, I forgot to ask that)

Good news. Look forward to seeing some pics of the finished article :-)
I'll strip it down and clean it up, the rear mech isn't working but I suspect the cable is just seized, there's a tiny amount of cosmetic rust at the bottom of the headtube, and the front tyre is perishing, other than that it all seems good.

I think a full restoration would be quite sad really. I'm going to strip it down, clean it all up, change the cables, tubes, tyres and brake blocks, (as funds permit), and see how it goes.

Oh yes, and level that ruddy saddle :eek:

I'll post some pics as I go.

Thanks again Pal :thumbsup:

Good news. Look forward to seeing some pics of the finished article :-)
Here you go R, LINKY to the finished bike. Perhaps you could point Chris to this album so he can see what's become of the bike I bought off him :thumbsup:

img1626rd.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom