Dahon bike, any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Bit heavy perhaps but perfectly functional.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Dahon and Tern occupy the sort of middle ground between BSO and Brompton. They have some good bikes in their ranges, but also some absolute stinkers at the bottom end.

I've owned a Dahon Vybe and sold it after a year, a truly terrible cheap bike. I've now owned a Tern Link Uno for the last 9 years and it's a great bike. I commute daily on it and it's really served me well. Whilst the single speed Link Uno is no longer available, the Link range is still going with a mix of internal hub gears or derailleurs.

There are a few thoughts to share. Firstly the frame hinge joints on both Dahon and Tern are rated at 100kg which isn't a lot when you factor in full Winter clothing and luggage etc.

I personally would go for an internal geared hub rather than derailleurs. Derailleurs sit to close to the ground on these bikes and need constant fettling and cleaning to keep them operating.

Folding, they fold as quick as a Brompton once your used to them and fold size is not that excessive. Mine easily fits into the boot of my car.

Overall though, if you don't need the really small fold size of a Brompton then as long as you buy carefully Terns and Dahons make good alternatives.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've had two secondhand Tern link folders. Both were cheap (around £200) and little used.
Both worked well.

They didn't weigh much/any more than a Brompton, but did wear out chains and cassettes fairly quickly, being closer to the ground.

I'd have another.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I’ve had a dahon mu for many years. I prefer riding it to a Brompton as it has a more rigid frame, 20 inch wheels and 8 gears. It doesn’t fold as small and is harder to move around when folded than a Brompton. It’s also hard to ride out of the saddle because the bars on mine are very flexible. For occasional use on public transport it’s good, for a regular commuter on packed trains I’d save up for a Brompton.

Last edited:
Top Bottom