Cycling newbie from Gloucester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrfluff

Regular
Hi all,
I used to ride a bike everywhere when I was younger and loved it.......then I bought a car!!
I'm now 37 and a few weeks ago I bought myself a Carrera Virtuosa ......I don't remember cycling being so hard!!

I've done a few very short rides, the longest being about 10 miles but I think its getting easier, well at least its not hurting as much as when I first got the bike.

But I'm enjoying it ( except hills!)
I'm sure they will get easier to......Please?!?!?!?

Nick

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Easier hills. Well errrr. No, but you do get used to them in a way. Anyway, hello and welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy it. :welcome:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Don't worry. Just tske things nice and slow . its all about having fun. If you make it a chore, you won't do it. Have fun. When you have had enough stop. Dont try to do to much to soon. Dont think that because some people here do 60,80,100 miles then you have to push yourself. You dont. Do what you want.

there is a newbie section here as well. Everyone is friendly, and will give you loads of tips and encouragement along the way.

Plenty of fairly hill-free rides near Gloucester to get you started - you can follow NCN 45 up the Severn valley towards Tewkesbury and Worcester, or downstream to Sharpness and Stroud. I like the ride to Tewkesbury - and if you do it on a summer weekend you can catch the little ferry across the Severn at Upper Lode. Plus there are railway stations for the return journey if you're knackered. :smile:

OP
OP
M

mrfluff

Regular
Plenty of fairly hill-free rides near Gloucester to get you started - you can follow NCN 45 up the Severn valley towards Tewkesbury and Worcester, or downstream to Sharpness and Stroud. I like the ride to Tewkesbury - and if you do it on a summer weekend you can catch the little ferry across the Severn at Upper Lode. Plus there are railway stations for the return journey if you're knackered. :smile:
Thanks, they sound like nice rides, I will look at them,

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: @mrfluff

It will get easier, honest. In the meantime, is the bike set up right for you? Right saddle height for example?

maltloaf

I'm in Gloucester too (Quedgeley). I cycle mostly around Elmore, Frampton, Cam, Dursley, Stonehouse etc.
For ages, I avoided hills like the plague since I'm not really built for climbing but have recently started adding the odd "proper" climb into my routes. You will see people say it over and over but the only way hills will get easier is if you do them more. This is very true. Fear for me has been replaced by determination.

Good luck and welcome !

Dark46

Veteran
Hi and welcome to the forum!
I'm in Quedgeley on the Kingsway.
Have you tried going across J12 to Stonehouse then to J13 and back up the A38 for me that's just over 16 miles with hardly any hills, just the stretch to Whitminster Garden Centre. That's my biggest ride so far.

Top Bottom