Cycling and Afib

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lone Wolf

Über Member
Just wondering if anyone here suffers from Atrial Fibrillation/Flutter or SVT and how it affects your cycling. At the moment I’m on a “learning to live with it“ curve While I’m waiting for an ablation. Just feel so tired all the time.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have had issues with irregular heart beats and palpitations for a few years. It doesn't seem to be affected by exercise and my cardiologist has said if cycling etc is not a trigger keep cycling. I did find alcohol was a trigger, so when suffering I avoid it.

Brandane

Legendary Member
AF here too. Been on flecainide for about 25 years now which seems to work. The only effect it has on my cycling is it slows me down. Or maybe that is just because I don't believe in knocking myself out. I have plodded my way through 100 mile cycles and AF has not been an issue.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have paroxysmal lone afib, but it’s very episodic, I’ve only had two proper episodes this year, but my Apple Watch measures that I have AF 2-10% of the time (variable).
Doesn’t really impact my cycling, not that I do hundreds of miles.
Last episode actually started while cycling, HR at 180bpm on Watch but not out of breath, but felt odd and light headed! Took a beta blocker to lower HR but episode lasted around 12 hours including while sleeping.

Saw an electrophysiologist via Bupa who suggested an ablation. Given my general lack of symptoms and all the risks he reeled off, I declined!
Alcohol seems to be a trigger too for me

vickster

Legendary Member
You say you're tired all the time...what medication do you take? I find beta blockers wipe me out (luckily I only need v occasionally)

OP
OP
Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Über Member
You say you're tired all the time...what medication do you take? I find beta blockers wipe me out (luckily I only need v occasionally)

I’m on Ramipril, amlodopine, indapamide, warfarin, Bisoprolol twice daily and Mirtazapine.
Been on this lot for years, but half way through April the Afib came back and hasn’t gone. Just don’t sleep at night with it 🤷‍♀️
i decided two weeks ago that I wasn’t going to put pay to my cycling or boxing/gym training.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’m on Ramipril, amlodopine, indapamide, warfarin, Bisoprolol twice daily and Mirtazapine.
Been on this lot for years, but half way through April the Afib came back and hasn’t gone. Just don’t sleep at night with it 🤷‍♀️
i decided two weeks ago that I wasn’t going to put pay to my cycling or boxing/gym training.

Might be worth reviewing your meds with your cardiologist (it's bisoprolol that makes me tired, probably as I don't have high BP!)

Hopefully you won't have too long a wait for the ablation and that it helps :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just stumbled across this thread. By coincidence, I watched this video on YouTube a couple of hours ago...

The person speaking had great success controlling his SVTs with deep breathing exercises.

As he immediately points out - it is not medical advice, but it can't hurt to try... I am going to see if I can get my bouts under control that way.

Top Bottom