Curry recipe using spices...... Do you have a favourite to share.?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I did have a notebook with recipes I had perfected over the years.
During the upheaval of my family. Moving in and me moving into the flat, sadly my notebook has gone walkabout.
Google is full of them but none that jump out and bite me.
So........ By Wednesday I have to make a slow cooker lamb curry for minimum 4 people.
Do you have a favourite you don't mind sharing?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Have a look on youtube

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Not so much a recipe and I don't really follow recipes for curry, but here's a tip. Pop about a quarter of a block of creamed coconut into it near the end. Thickens the sauce up and gives it a lovely texture. fresh coriander popped on it just before / as you serve it up.

1728986093319.png

I would use some sort of paste jar for ease. So fry off your onions and diced lamb and stir in the paste, and maybe extra garlic. Then into the slow cooker with say a tin of tomatoes, and other veg you want to use, potentially add anything more delicate later into cooking so it doesn't go to mush. Frozen spinach blocks are a good shout.

finish off with the coconut cream as above.

presta

Guru
500g of chicken, fish or vegetables, then:

• 220g Onion
  • 400g Tinned tomatoes
  • 15g Flour to thicken
  • 40g Oil
  • 3 Garlic cloves
  • 30g Ginger
  • 2.5cc Ground cumin
  • 1.25cc Cumin seeds
  • 7.5cc Coriander leaf
  • 2.5cc Ground coriander
  • 5cc Garam masala
  • 2.5cc Cayenne pepper
  • 1.25cc Ground turmeric
  • 0.6cc Black pepper
  • 0.6cc Salt
It's loosely based on a Madhur Jaffrey recipe.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Don't really do any Lamb curries, if doing spicy Lamb it tends to be in my Tagine.

very helpful for the OP :laugh:

I just made this karachi-style lamb & chickpea curry. The basic method was taught to me by a pakistani friend when we were both engineering undergrads three decades ago. Erk! Although I now use a slow cooker as opposed to a pan on the hob.

Pack of diced lamb. Preferably not too lean. Put some natural yoghurt into a bowl - three or four tablespoons, enough to coat the lamb. To that, add two heaped teaspoons of garam masala, eight cardamom pods (you can crush them if you prefer a more intense flavour), a heaped teaspoon of curry powder (heat level can be your choice, but I prefer mild or and then add heat to taste), and a teaspoon each of cinnamon, cumin, turmeric and ground coriander. Mix the spices into the yoghurt, then add the lamb. Leave to marinate, preferably overnight if you can.

Tip a can of tomatoes into your crock pot or pan. Drain a can of chickpeas and add those in too. Crumble in a chicken stock cube and add a handful of desiccated coconut. Get this going on a low heat.

In a frying pan, heat some oil. Add a chunk of chopped fresh ginger, four or five cloves of garlic, finely chopped (you should have roughly the same amount of garlic to ginger), and one large onion, also finely chopped. To this, add another teaspoon of curry powder, half a level teaspoon of ground black pepper (you can use less if you wish), and half a teaspoon of dried kashmiri chillies (these are mild and fruity, so if you want more heat, choose a different chilli variety). Saute until the onions are soft, then add to the tomatoes and chickpeas. Stir well.

Add the lamb to the pot and cook slowly. You can add sweet peppers to this partway through the cooking time if you want. Cook until the meat and chickpeas are tender, and the sauce is good and thick.

Top Bottom