credit card fraud and a cycle parts supplier

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Philk

This may be something or nothing, but wanted to post what happened in case its also happend to others.

I recently tried to purchase some Shimano SLX 666 disc calipers and master cylinders from Chain reaction cycles.

After 1 week of not hearing from them and having noticed that payment had been taken, I contacted them, to find out that they did not actually have the parts they were advertising.
Another couple of weeks passed, after being passed around and being given the run around , I eventually got my money back.

Now the worrying bit....About 2 weeks later my card was debited by a company in london, for the purchase of MP3 files.

Im really carefull with my card details and had not used it for a long time before, so it seemed a little to coincidental between making the purchase and the theft from my card.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have had this happen they always start with something cheap, I did not use the card with Chain Reaction and would suggest it is pure coincidence. I would imagine their security systems far greater than say a corner shop or a local takeaway.

screenman

Legendary Member
So far the investigation has uncovered no evidence of any breach! Old story.

Very small percentage of people had a problem 0.1 if I read correctly, there may also be a pattern where people who buy from say CRC also buy from other types of retailers.

Not saying there is no chance but I would trust them further than some places.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
never used crc but thanks for reminding us all to be alert

All of these retailers are at risk, and all they can d is take reasonable steps.

One company emailed me last year to say that they had problems, which were being investigated by the Police. I was advised to check the statements.

The Police reported a "sophisticated attack" which had got into their system.

CRC, Wiggle and others have all been victims over the past few years

jayonabike