convert to cycling from running for fitness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fit447

Regular
Hi Everyone. I'm not new to cycling, but until recently simply saw it as a way to get to work. Had to give up running, due to health reasons, so want to cycle for fitness. Had a few trips out at weekends so far, on my heavy hybrid, 9 miles and 14 miles on cycle network local to me. I'm going to be asking questions about improving my bike and improving my fitness. be gentle with me, I really know nothing about bikes. Never even mended a puncture!
I'm interested in how to get the most out of my bike for fitness.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome: Just keep riding it :biggrin:

Largely, the same rules apply to cycling as running. Cyclists deal more in power because it's measurable. You'll transfer well. Fitness will be good, speed and stamina will come as you ride more.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Also for fitness a heavy bike is good - more effort needed to get it to move, but you can seriously lighten a hybrid by a few kilo's quite easily if not cheaply as well (Wheels tyres crankset and bars for a couple of hundred should be easy)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
For around £200 you could replace those and lose 4 or 5 kilogrammes in weight, depends on the quality of the bike at present, the cheaper the bike then the greater the weight loss from standard e.g a standard aluminium arm crank with 3 steel rings(with square taper) can easily be swapped for an all aluminium 2 ring set up saving a bunch of weight (you could fit a triple but they tend to be pricier)

OP
OP
F

fit447

Regular
Sorry Raleighnut, but you are talking a foreign language to me. I really don't have a clue what any of the things you suggested even are. But I do appreciate your guidance. translation would be appreciated. I've joined this site to be educated.
My current bike probably cost £150 a couple of years ago, so spending £200 pounds on improving it would feel a bit strange. I might be better replacing my current bike with something a little less chunky when I can afford to. I hear what you are saying dayvo. I'm still wondering about getting smoother tyres if I don't get stronger, or the service I've booked doesn't help.

Ganymede

Veteran
Sorry Raleighnut, but you are talking a foreign language to me. I really don't have a clue what any of the things you suggested even are. But I do appreciate your guidance. translation would be appreciated. I've joined this site to be educated.
My current bike probably cost £150 a couple of years ago, so spending £200 pounds on improving it would feel a bit strange. I might be better replacing my current bike with something a little less chunky when I can afford to. I hear what you are saying dayvo. I'm still wondering about getting smoother tyres if I don't get stronger, or the service I've booked doesn't help.
Non-technical forum member here! Welcome and great to hear that you are cycling!

If your bike was only £150 then it will be serviceable and not (as you guess) so much worth spending money on. But it is true that riding a heavy bike is brilliant for your fitness. I have a not-very light hybrid which I travel around on and an even heavier but rather lovely semi-recumbent which I am beginning to appreciate for the riding position even when I am hauling it uphill (it's wonderful downhill!).

I am not sure myself what all those things are - I would love someone to post a diagram of a bike with all the parts labelled! It's partly that some things are called something slightly different from what I remember as a child, and simple calling-things-for-short - such as "bars" for "handlebars" can be more confusing. I'm sure someone will be along soon who can explain better! When raleighnut says rings, he means the gear cogs on which the chain runs, I do know that!

Happy cycling!

OP
OP
F

fit447

Regular
Thanks Ganymede, and Mikew, just what I needed to hear. I'll get studying the jargon guide. I was beginning to worry that everyone here was into the technical side of things, and Im no mechanic, as you've probably guessed. I'm really glad there are some helpful technical types though, to guide me through the bike maze. Rather than get frustrated at my heavy bike, I'll just concentrate on how fit its going to make me.

Ganymede

Veteran
Thanks Ganymede, and Mikew, just what I needed to hear. I'll get studying the jargon guide. I was beginning to worry that everyone here was into the technical side of things, and Im no mechanic, as you've probably guessed. I'm really glad there are some helpful technical types though, to guide me through the bike maze. Rather than get frustrated at my heavy bike, I'll just concentrate on how fit its going to make me.
Yes, I aspire to be able to name all parts and processes but not enough to actually get in there. Having said that, I have, with the aid of "Richard's Bicycle Book" adjusted my derailleurs (the bits of metal that push your chain onto a different cog/ring) and shortened my brake cables to improve the grip of my brake pads. So it can be done. I'm a practical person but I have so much jargon in my head already form other topics it will go off pop if I'm not careful!

Top Bottom