Condor Agio service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welshnwobbly

I am servicing my Condor Agio by getting new wheels, tyres, inner tubes, brake pads, chain, brake and gear cable (inner and outer) and looking to maybe get new shifters or even a complete set and wonder if my chain wheel and crank, which is Shimano Tiagra (Picture 1), is in need of replacement? I only use it occasionally so will not splash out.
The Agio is a lovely bike which is easy to ride and incredibly comfortable. I've had a love affair with Condor for years (I had a Squadra first, which got nicked, then an Italia RC with Campag bits, which got nicked) and this one feels great.
It is 16 speed on two front cranks and I am currently running it on Tiagra rear derailleur but the shifters are Sora. I bought a new eight speed cassette about two years ago (Picture 2). Is it OK?
I have in my possession (Picture 3).
A, 2 Shimano Sora shifters
B, 1 single Shimano R5 shifter
C, 1 Tiagra rear derailleur
D, 1 Sora rear derailleur
E, 1 Shimano derailleur (middle one) I don't know what it is but it looks good.
And (Picture 4 and 5) 2 Shimano shifters (I don't know what they are?)
Any ideas for new wheels?
My intention is to reduce weight and drag, have the drive work smoothly with no errors or problems and efficient braking.

Attachments

• PIC1.jpg
    PIC1.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 22
  • PIC2.jpg
    PIC2.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 21
  • PIC3.jpg
    PIC3.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 20
  • PIC4.jpg
    PIC4.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 20
  • PIC5.jpg
    PIC5.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 21

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's a difficult one. First and foremost I should invest in a good lock.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Replacing brake and gear cables is a good idea.
Cleaning everything is a good idea.
Checking chain wear with a gauge, and replacing it and cassette, if needed is a good idea.

Beyond that I'd only replace things that are visibly worn, or if I just fancied a bit of bling.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I recommend, in order:
1) Clean bike thoroughly, including chain and cassette
2) Replace gear cables, including outers.
3) Treat yourself to some decent tyres (I'm guessing here: Vittorias)
4) Fit Dura2 Salmon brake pads
The chainset, cassette and chain are fine. Replacement will offer no actual benefit (but will be shinier).
Ride on.
The next step would be to procure a set of new Sora STIs (and bar tape obv) and a 9sp cassette and chain.
Wheels are fine, as are the derailleurs (for current 8sp STIs or 9sp).

OP
OP
Welshnwobbly

Welshnwobbly

Many thanks for your help with this.
I am identifying the older parts I now have as:
1, 3x Shimano ST-3400 shifters (one set and one spare)
2, 2xShimano St-2300 shifters (one set)
The fact that I have a Tiagra crank and chainset linked to an old Tiagra rear derailleur suggests I might benefit from having Tiagra shifters?
The Agio was made by Condor to be 16 speed yet Tiagra is a nine speed system.
Am I right in saying that you can change from 8, 9, 10 speed cassette as much as you like on any bike simply by changing the rear derailleur and chain?
When I put on a new chain and link it up from front to back I can use either a nine-speed or an eight-speed cassette and just adjust the stop switches to suit on the rear derailleur.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If the shifters are working leave it be. You can't change between 8,9,10 as it's the shifters that dictate it, and some later Tiagra won't work with other groupset levels.

You are lucky it's an older 5 arm chainset, which you can get readily available chainrings anywhere for a good price - even upgraded ones will be cheaper than the Shimano hollowtech (which you don't have fortunately).

Ajax Bay

Guru
. . . the older parts I now have as:
1, 3x Shimano ST-3400 shifters (one set and one spare)
2, 2xShimano St-2300 shifters (one set)
The fact that I have a Tiagra crank and chainset linked to an old Tiagra rear derailleur suggests I might benefit from having Tiagra shifters?
The Agio was made by Condor to be 16 speed yet Tiagra is a nine speed system.
Am I right in saying that you can change from 8, 9, 10 speed cassette as much as you like on any bike simply by changing the rear derailleur and chain?
When I put on a new chain and link it up from front to back I can use either a nine-speed or an eight-speed cassette and just adjust the stop switches to suit on the rear derailleur.

The 3x Shimano ST-3400 shifters are of use only if you want to swap to a triple, in which case you'll need a triple chainset (Spa Cycles).
2xShimano St-2300 shifters? No better than you have already.

Tiagra chainset and Tiagra rear derailleur suggests I might benefit from having Tiagra shifters? Nope: definitely not: Tiagra was 9sp and is now 10sp. But the chainset (crankset is chainset without the rings btw) is fine with 8sp (as now) and the shift ratio of the Tiagra RD is the same for 7, 8 and 9sp (the STIs (shifter/brake combi) have different cable pulls for 7/8/9).
Condor just shoved on 'Tiagra' this and 'Tiagra' that to help with marketing: the chainset and RD are fine with an 8sp cassette and chain.
Tiagra is a nine speed system. Tiagra 4400 and 4500 is/was 9sp. Current Tiagra is 10sp.
Am I right in saying that you can change from 8, 9, 10 speed cassette as much as you like on any bike simply by changing the rear derailleur and chain? Nope, and I hope I've explained why ^^^.
See my previous post.

Top Bottom