Compatibility help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex1982

I have a bought a new bike that has shimano ultegra di2 components and I have another bike that has SRAM

I am wondering if it’s as simple as buying a new freehub for shimano and being able to use the wheels on both bikes or am I simplifying it too much

What else would I need to consider to have the option of swapping wheels

13 rider

Guru
If your on disc brakes you need to consider rotor size diameter and thickness ,
Is the SRAM chain a newer flat top chain ? ,otherwise I think Shimano and SRAM chains and cassette do work mixed up but you may not have optimal changing

T4tomo

Legendary Member
basic one - are they both the same speed (i.e 11spd not 21mph)
also chain length, if one has a short cage mech and 11-25 cassette and you whack a wheel in with an 11-34/36 cassette on from a medium cage equipped bike you're probably going to fark up your RD.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
You are going to need to swap cassettes between wheels if you swap wheels between bikes, so you always have the 12spd cassette with the 12spd shifters mechs chain etc .
So if you don't have a cassette tool and chainwhip, then you'll need to buy them. Its a pretty quick job to do though. See Park tools clips on youtube if you haven't done it before

OP
OP
A

Alex1982

Yeah think it’s more hassle than it’s worth

probably convert the deeper rims for the bianchi and the shallower ones for the bmc

Top Bottom