Coasts and Castles (South)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
My wife and I rode the Coasts and Castles South cycle route the other weekend (or at least most of it), and rather enjoyed it. I have written it up in my blog if anyone wants to read about it starting here. Has anyone else has ridden it, want to tell us your story?

looe

My wife and I rode the Coasts and Castles South cycle route the other weekend (or at least most of it), and rather enjoyed it. I have written it up in my blog if anyone wants to read about it starting here. Has anyone else has ridden it, want to tell us your story?

Very nice blog and superb pictures

mangaman

Fantastic HJ.

I think that part of the country is the most underrated in the UK - the Northumbrian beaches are unbelievable.

I've never ridden the coast and castles route - but visited them - they are unforgettable.

Hadrian's wall is amazing in the middle bit - near Housteds. Not really cycle friendly - but there are a series of forts below the wall - Vindolanda is amazing- which are very accessible. The wall itself is for walkers only - but worth it at that point.

I went in November a couple of years ago and the weather was amazing - not a cloud in the sky.

It looks as if you had good weather too - great pictures.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
I've never ridden the coast and castles route - but visited them - they are unforgettable.

Hadrian's wall is amazing in the middle bit - near Housteds. Not really cycle friendly - but there are a series of forts below the wall - Vindolanda is amazing- which are very accessible. The wall itself is for walkers only - but worth it at that point.

I take it you are talking about the wall, rather than the Hadrian's Cycleway (NCN 72)? Funny name, come to think of it, did the Roman's have bikes :whistle: ? Also slightly surprising that the route follows so much of the Cumbrian coast before getting to what I always thought was H's Wall cutting across East/West. I'd love to take the bike south and explore ...

Oops, back on topic - I really enjoyed the Coasts & Castles route, although with hindsight, in places I would probably divert off the signposted route, as some of the surfaces are really quite rough and hard work for loaded bikes. But some of the rough bits are well worth the effort for the amazing views, in my opinion anyway. It's a very easy route to get to and from by train along the East Coast main line, so you can split it in into "weekend-sized" sections.

T

mangaman

I take it you are talking about the wall, rather than the Hadrian's Cycleway (NCN 72)? Funny name, come to think of it, did the Roman's have bikes :whistle: ? Also slightly surprising that the route follows so much of the Cumbrian coast before getting to what I always thought was H's Wall cutting across East/West. I'd love to take the bike south and explore ...

Oops, back on topic - I really enjoyed the Coasts & Castles route, although with hindsight, in places I would probably divert off the signposted route, as some of the surfaces are really quite rough and hard work for loaded bikes. But some of the rough bits are well worth the effort for the amazing views, in my opinion anyway. It's a very easy route to get to and from by train along the East Coast main line, so you can split it in into "weekend-sized" sections.

T

Yes Temark. Hadrian's wall is at it's best around Housteasds fort - which is a longish walk from even the car park for the fort. No bridleways up here!

Walk a few miles West and the view is stunning (Housteads is where the clump of trees are in this photo)

The Sustrans route is well below the wall along the Roman road connecting the forts behind the wall - including Vindolanda, which is an amazing place and well worth a visit. As is Chesters fort and museum.

Attachments

• hadrians-wall-housesteads.jpg
    hadrians-wall-housesteads.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 66

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Me and MrS did Morpeth to Berwick a few years ago, then looped back down to Morpeth inland.

My star moment was after staying overnight on Lindisfarne, and waiting until the causeway was clear in the morning, I left my car/bike lock keys on the ground while sorting out panniers. Back to the mainland, just about to lock the bikes to a fence while we had a wander on the beach and I (thankfully) said 'just let me find my keys before you lock that'. Much unpacking later, we realised that the keys were not in fact with us. Luckily the guidebook had the number of the Lindisfarne tourist office, outside which our bikes had been locked and someone had handed the keys in. By this time the causeway was flooded again...
:angry:
(If we'd locked the bikes to the fence, we'd have had to walk miles to find somewhere with a wire cutter - we were on a footpath, not a road, so no hitching or begging off passing motorists would have been possible).

So on to Berwick, and the next day I did the morning's cycle as planned, while MrS went via Lindisfarne!
:hugs:

Stunning routes, I first did the "Coast and Castles" when it was the "New Riders of the Open Road - North Sea Cycle Route" back in the 80's

Much of the route is the same, but the NSCR went inland to Durham and down Whitby, Scarborough and Hull.

The first thing I would recommend is that if possible stay overnight on Lindisfarne as it a different place once the tourist melee dies down, peaceful, ranquil and sitting above the abbey ruins on a summers evening is wonderful.

The other (Coast and Castles this time) was an error, we booked a hotel in Alnmouth over the internet.

Then when we got there we found it was famous for its ghosts and wierd happenings never mind Egon Ronay, this one has twice been endorsed by the Poltergeist Society!

Some Hotels artificially set up Ghosts Events...not so the Schooner. It has no need. Throughout its history many ghosts have been heard, seen and felt within its walls. The Poltergeist Society has twice given the Hotel the title of the "MOST HAUNTED HOTEL IN GREAT BRITAIN". It has been thoroughly investigated, and is listed on record as having over 60 individual ghosts.

Why not visit and experience the special atmosphere of the Schooner, or better still, make your visit coincide with one of our special Ghost Events ? These include all-night access to the most haunted areas, and the use of the most up-to-date ghost-hunting equipment.

Spent an undisturbed and comfortable night with no visits or unusual events, but it was an unexpected end t the day

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Stunning routes, I first did the "Coast and Castles" when it was the "New Riders of the Open Road - North Sea Cycle Route" back in the 80's

Much of the route is the same, but the NSCR went inland to Durham and down Whitby, Scarborough and Hull.

The first thing I would recommend is that if possible stay overnight on Lindisfarne as it a different place once the tourist melee dies down, peaceful, ranquil and sitting above the abbey ruins on a summers evening is wonderful.

The other (Coast and Castles this time) was an error, we booked a hotel in Alnmouth over the internet.

Then when we got there we found it was famous for its ghosts and wierd happenings never mind Egon Ronay, this one has twice been endorsed by the Poltergeist Society!

Spent an undisturbed and comfortable night with no visits or unusual events, but it was an unexpected end t the day

Mrs. HJ was intrigued by the three ghosts sign on the Schooner Inn

DSCF9826.JPG

DSCF9827.JPG

I put it down to marketing...

Top Bottom