Child’s vintage tricycle problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reddragonzz69

Hello, I am currently working on restoration of a vintage child’s tricycle. I do not know what make it is for sure but I am guessing it could be a Triang. I have been trying to remove the back wheels with no luck. I thought at first that the metal cut out bit (see pic) could be hit with a hammer and large screwdriver to remove it, but that doesn’t seem to be working.
I have not bashed it too much as too scared of damaging it. Does anyone have any ideas of how these rear wheels are removed?
Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 24

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I haven't seen this kind of attachment before, so no expertise claimed, but it looks like you've been trying to bash it clockwise, which may have been tightening instead of loosening the wheel. Maybe lay the trike on its side and apply some oil to the centre, leave it a few hours to penetrate then try bashing it anticlockwise. Let us know how you get on, and good luck!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
1727775805785.png

don't bash 1 in either direction, the fecking spokes are attached to it FFS!

2 might be some sort of locking / retaining nut?? but looks like it needs a proper tool to turn it/

It might release with a tap with a screw driver, or that may fark it beyond repair?

Are there any other clip or retaining looking thingies on the hub or axle?

classic33

Leg End Member
What size is the trike and the wheels, and can the rear axle be removed with the wheels in place?

Some came with wheels that required the rear axle to be removed, the wheels then pushed inwards to reveal a metal locking ring that was removed to separate the wheels from the axle. This locking washer/ring was destroyed in removal, so new ones required before removal.
Others you just pushed both wheels inboard once off the trike to service them.
A third type had a "non removable" washer on one side. Both wheels came off the same end. Are you you trying to remove the correct wheel first?

One thing for certain, that piece on the wheel hub, it's a bushing. Destroy that and the wheel is gone. And with it the trike.

DRM

Guru
View attachment 747518

don't bash 1 in either direction, the fecking spokes are attached to it FFS!

2 might be some sort of locking / retaining nut?? but looks like it needs a proper tool to turn it/

It might release with a tap with a screw driver, or that may fark it beyond repair?

Are there any other clip or retaining looking thingies on the hub or axle?

My thoughts too, but I would have thought there would also be a second notch for a tool to fit into in order to tighten/loosen it up, I wonder if the opposite side is the same or different to the side shown

DRM

Guru
Quick look on Google would suggest there is a screw in the middle of the hub, undo it and the wheel should come off the drive axle, look at the hub on the picture, large screw, flat head screw driver required
1728141691285.jpeg

Top Bottom