Checking in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IBarrett

Über Member
Hi chaps,

I'm a knackered 52yr old who needs to cycle due to a damaged knee - no ACL from Basketball 20yrs ago.
The best thing for the knee is to keep up the strength in my legs and the best thing for this is cycling.
I don't really get the time to cycle a lot, and its not really my passion - tinkering with cars is that - but I quite enjoy it and need to do it so I plan to make part of my commute a cycling trip.

I used to commute the latter part of the journey to work on my stock Specialized Rockhopper - but that was when I had an estate car I could throw it in the back of.
Now I have a Merc convertible, which is lovely but bloody useless for transporting anything bigger than a banana box.

So yesterday I bought a secondhand Brompton M3L
It was a bit more 2nd hand than I thought it would be so I'm waiting for new pedals, tyres and front brake cable which are all on order. A new seat is needed but until I do a bit more "bum on seat" research (yes, I hear you groaning, the pun was intended and it will hopefully be my last!) a new seat will have to wait.

My first commute on the Brompton will be a couple of miles only. My knee is not great at the minute and I've never ridden a folding bike before so I want to be careful.
I'll keep you posted on progress but hope to be at 5-6 miles each way within a couple of weeks at most.

IanB

OP
OP
IBarrett

IBarrett

Über Member
Part of the "checking in" process should be to actually tell you where I am from

That will be SE side of Nottingham.

Ern1e

Über Member
Hi and welcome from a sixty year old owner of a couple of shot out knee's lol cycling is quite low impact on them and I must admit it gets me out and aboutso good luck, the bum on seat research may be a "pun" but getting the correct saddle is very important but alli can add further is I personaly use a wide "comfort" type which is great for my type of riding.

ScotiaLass

Guru
:welcome:
I too have a dodgy knee (arthritis). I'm a retired nurse so don't commute anywhere :biggrin:
I run a ladies social cycling group and probably rack up 50+ miles a week on average.
I prefer my mountain bike to my hybrid as it's the riding style I'm used to.
Thats me!

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
Welcome!

I went to university at Loughborough and worked in Beeston for a year cycling into work from the station on my fold up bike for a year!

Hopefully your commute isn't too hilly!

Mrs M

Guru
:welcome:

Hi chaps,

I'm a knackered 52yr old who needs to cycle due to a damaged knee - no ACL from Basketball 20yrs ago.
The best thing for the knee is to keep up the strength in my legs and the best thing for this is cycling.
I don't really get the time to cycle a lot, and its not really my passion - tinkering with cars is that - but I quite enjoy it and need to do it so I plan to make part of my commute a cycling trip.

I used to commute the latter part of the journey to work on my stock Specialized Rockhopper - but that was when I had an estate car I could throw it in the back of.
Now I have a Merc convertible, which is lovely but bloody useless for transporting anything bigger than a banana box.

So yesterday I bought a secondhand Brompton M3L
It was a bit more 2nd hand than I thought it would be so I'm waiting for new pedals, tyres and front brake cable which are all on order. A new seat is needed but until I do a bit more "bum on seat" research (yes, I hear you groaning, the pun was intended and it will hopefully be my last!) a new seat will have to wait.

My first commute on the Brompton will be a couple of miles only. My knee is not great at the minute and I've never ridden a folding bike before so I want to be careful.
I'll keep you posted on progress but hope to be at 5-6 miles each way within a couple of weeks at most.

IanB
Welcome to cc

Top Bottom