Changing front forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil-b

Über Member
I have a 2012 trek fx that I picked up for not much money

It is now all functional and I changed a few things to make it more comfortable for me. Stem, saddle and lower gearing.

It is an aluminium frame and fork and being someone that likes to tinker I was thinking about changing the front forks

Both steel and carbon are available but how much of a difference would these really make. Would more supple tyres or a suspension stem be a better option.

Aluminium does not seem to get much love in the bike world but is it underrated

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Carbon would be the obvious choice but really wouldn't make any difference apart from being stronger.
Tyres would be a better upgrade.

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
Carbon would be the obvious choice but really wouldn't make any difference apart from being stronger.
Tyres would be a better upgrade.

Yes I think you are probably right. I will only end up going to great expense to make not enough difference to notice

Venod

Eh up
I fitted some carbon forks with a carbon steerer to my steel (Coumbus tubing) frame mainly as a weight saving measure as the steel steerer on the original forks was very heavy, it had the the added advantage of improving the ride.
Not sure how much an improvement Carbon will be over aluminium, but if you have a steel steerer and change to carbon it will be a weight saver.

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
I fitted some carbon forks with a carbon steerer to my steel (Coumbus tubing) frame mainly as a weight saving measure as the steel steerer on the original forks was very heavy, it had the the added advantage of improving the ride.
Not sure how much an improvement Carbon will be over aluminium, but if you have a steel steerer and change to carbon it will be a weight saver.
any recommendations of where to buy front carbon forks if I go for this option. (need disc break forks)

Venod

Eh up
I can't recall where the ones I fitted came from, (it was the UK) they are Colombus with a 1" plain steerer, I was knocked of my Cannondale CX and the forks snapped in half, they were disk forks, I replaced them with non branded ones from China, they were excellent.

si_c

Guru

It is now all functional and I changed a few things to make it more comfortable for me. Stem, saddle and lower gearing.

It is an aluminium frame and fork and being someone that likes to tinker I was thinking about changing the front forks

Both steel and carbon are available but how much of a difference would these really make. Would more supple tyres or a suspension stem be a better option.

Which model is it? IIRC some of the lower end FX models came with a steel fork instead of carbon.

Either way, a set of higher volume, supple tires will give far more value for money than replacing the fork.

CXRAndy

Guru

Tyres are by far the best suspension option, larger the better, lower pressure.

You can get some nice suspension forks like Suntour with remote lockout for not a lot of money. fitted these to my wife's aluminium frame
https://www.google.com/search?q=sun...1MTUxajBqMTWoAgiwAgE&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
Which model is it? IIRC some of the lower end FX models came with a steel fork instead of carbon.

Either way, a set of higher volume, supple tires will give far more value for money than replacing the fork.

the one I have is a aluminum frame and fork

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
Tyres are by far the best suspension option, larger the better, lower pressure.

You can get some nice suspension forks like Suntour with remote lockout for not a lot of money. fitted these to my wife's aluminium frame
https://www.google.com/search?q=sun...1MTUxajBqMTWoAgiwAgE&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I have some 38mm tyres on order and I was contemplation a budget suspension seatpost just to try without spending too much.

something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Parallelog...834e2ba2591a74786f43f&th=1&psc=1&gad_source=1

I haven't ridden a bike for a long time. My body is much older and a different shape than before and non comfort is a big priority for me. I experimenting with the bike setup

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'm glad you're back on a bike!

I'd just remind you that what feels comfortable now may not be so good when you get cycling fit.

My bikes are steel and have hard saddles, no suspension and I don't wear padded clothing. Seven years ago I wouldn't have believed I could ever comfortably ride 50 miles on these bikes.

I agree with others here, that good tyres are the best investment in comfort.

Punkawallah

Über Member
I'm glad you're back on a bike!

I'd just remind you that what feels comfortable now may not be so good when you get cycling fit.

My bikes are steel and have hard saddles, no suspension and I don't wear padded clothing. Seven years ago I wouldn't have believed I could ever comfortably ride 50 miles on these bikes.

I agree with others here, that good tyres are the best investment in comfort.

Ditto. Get the bike set up right, and it works fine. No problem doing the 60-odd miles to York. Or the 200+ miles around the North York Moors. It’s a question of doing a bit at a time until you’re there.

Top Bottom