Changing cassettes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gazzayork

Über Member
Hi,

I have 2 bikes. 1 has 2 x 11 and the other has 3 x 9....is there any reason why I cannot change both to 2 x 11. Not a great fan of 3 at the front and it would make them both interchangeable with my turbo.

Would the shifters require changing too?

Thank you

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
You need essentially a full new groupset to change 9 to 11 speed: chainset, chain, cassette, shifters, derailleurs and probably rear wheel too.

Likely more £ than the 9 speed is worth but also 3x9 is also the best setup anyway: wide range and cheap parts but still excellent performance.

Alex321

Guru
Hi,

I have 2 bikes. 1 has 2 x 11 and the other has 3 x 9....is there any reason why I cannot change both to 2 x 11. Not a great fan of 3 at the front and it would make them both interchangeable with my turbo.

Thank you

Yes, the shifters would need changing.

The pul rations for 9 speed and 11 speed are different.

You'll also need to change the chain, as the 9 speed chain will be too wide for the 11 speed sprockets.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Hi,

yes but not sure you really need two bike compatible with your turbo, is that really worth the expense.

Thank you
yes - which can make it an expensive change, basically you need a whole new group set shifters, derailleurs, crankset, cassette chain. and you need to ensure your wheel's freehub can take an 11 speed cassette. Some old freehubs didnt, quite easy to check, it will have a couple of spacers behind the cassette if it is "upto 11 spd".

Top Bottom