Chain lube advice please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sloth

I don't know a lot about chain lube, so if this is a common question please bear with me.
A few months ago I got some 'Squirt' wax type chain lube.
It seems to work very well, and the chain felt really smooth and very quiet.
However, I have noticed a fair bit of sludgy deposits on the derailleur, especially the idler and guide pully wheels.
Is this normal and acceptable or something to be avoided?
Is it typical of wax lubes, and does it need removing regularly and reapplying? I was told by the LBS that the whole point of the wax lube was that it was supposed to be low maintenance and basically just 'fell off' after a while at which point I assumed I'd just reapply then?
The sludgy deposits do not fit that explanation.

Am I best to swap to another lube, perhaps a summer lube and a separate winter lube?
I know they also do an 'all in one' summer/winter all your round lube, but I don't know if they are any good or just 'snake oil' (see what I did there?!!!)

I now have a brand new GRX 812 42t/11/42 1x installed and the LBS that fitted it (a different one from the one who sold me the wax lube) just used a standard summer chain lube.
I am hesitant to use the wax lube on it, if I will once again get the sludgy deposits, so would appreciate some advice on the best lube/s to use, that will protect my components and chain, and if possible make it as smooth and quiet as possible?

Thanks in advance.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Any lube with a high viscosity is going to leave sludgy deposits.
There is a lot of hype around the advantages of otherwise of different types of chain lube. I think any oil is fine, I use regular motor oil and it works as well as any.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
I've always had build up on the derailleur jockey wheels regardless of the type of lubricant I've used, wax or otherwise. I think it's a combination of the type of plastic used for them and that the chain travels over them so much that anything caught in the chain itself gets squashed on to them and adheres.

The only real solution is a reasonably regular maintenance routine - I just use a screwdriver when it's built up enough to scrape it off and then clean off the remainder with a cloth, it's not going to hurt too much if you don't clean it after every ride.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Think I'll ditch the Squirt, and just clean and reapply a decent quality dry weather lube every couple of weeks.
I seldom, if at all ride in the rain, unless I literally get caught in it of course. That being the case, again I'll just reapply.

Of course there's Muc-Off, any other suggestions for a decent quality lube?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

The Muc OFF dry lube claims to be 'wax based', so is it their take on 'Squirt' wax lube (which I don't want obviously)?

I don't know a lot about chain lube, so if this is a common question please bear with me.
A few months ago I got some 'Squirt' wax type chain lube.
It seems to work very well, and the chain felt really smooth and very quiet.
However, I have noticed a fair bit of sludgy deposits on the derailleur, especially the idler and guide pully wheels.
Is this normal and acceptable or something to be avoided?
Is it typical of wax lubes, and does it need removing regularly and reapplying? I was told by the LBS that the whole point of the wax lube was that it was supposed to be low maintenance and basically just 'fell off' after a while at which point I assumed I'd just reapply then?
The sludgy deposits do not fit that explanation.

Am I best to swap to another lube, perhaps a summer lube and a separate winter lube?
I know they also do an 'all in one' summer/winter all your round lube, but I don't know if they are any good or just 'snake oil' (see what I did there?!!!)

I now have a brand new GRX 812 42t/11/42 1x installed and the LBS that fitted it (a different one from the one who sold me the wax lube) just used a standard summer chain lube.
I am hesitant to use the wax lube on it, if I will once again get the sludgy deposits, so would appreciate some advice on the best lube/s to use, that will protect my components and chain, and if possible make it as smooth and quiet as possible?

Thanks in advance.

GT 85 here for donkeys years as its quick n easy. Reapplied every month.
Hey, how you findin the new gears? Still got that nice hybrid?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

GT 85 here for donkeys years as its quick n easy. Reapplied every month.
Hey, how you findin the new gears? Still got that nice hybrid?

Hi, thanks for the tip. Is GT85 a good chain lube, or is it only for cleaning the chain prior to lube? Reviews seem mixed.
Yes I still have the Giant Fastroad A1, just had it converted from 105 2x11 to a GRX 812 42t front - 11/42 rear 1x set up.
Lovin it but I think it needs some decent lube due to the extreme angles of the top and bottom gears (a little chain noise, not terrible but can be reduced I think).

Hi, thanks for the tip. Is GT85 a good chain lube, or is it only for cleaning the chain prior to lube? Reviews seem mixed.
Yes I still have the Giant Fastroad A1, just had it converted from 105 2x11 to a GRX 812 42t front - 11/42 rear 1x set up.
Lovin it but I think it needs some decent lube due to the extreme angles of the top and bottom gears (a little chain noise, not terrible but can be reduced I think).

They'll be oldies on here (like me) who soaked their chains in melted candle wax! Yes, really.
GT85 and a clean, jobs a good'un ^_^
Bound to get more noise when chains at an angle, no way round it, it aint the lube.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Has anyone used silicon based lube? Any advantages and any down-side? (other than perhaps cost).

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'm a big fan of immersive waxing.

As a rule I generally don't rate Muc-Off stuff, while I'd question the validity of Silicon-based stuff as typically it doesn't have a great rep for actual lubricity.

Ultimately whatever liquid lube remains on the chain with collect abrasives in the form of dust / grit, which gets drawn into the bearing surfaces of the chain and is responsible for the vast majority of chain wear. Hence, again why I like immersive waxing although granted it's not for everyone.

PaulSB

Squire
@Sloth I'm a long time user of Squirt and would happily recommend it to anyone. For me the key to successful use is this:
  • Ensure you chain, cassette and rings are scrupulous clean before first application
  • Apply sparingly to the upper surface of each link on the bottom of the chain
  • Apply two coats
  • Once dry wipe off any excess
  • After each ride wipe with a cotton cloth
  • Repeat as necessary
From your description you didn't start with a clean enough drive. I've had a build of a sticky dirty deposit when I've done the same thing. You have a new drive set up, should be fine.

I run Squirt for 9 months and a wet lube December to February. Squirt doesn't last in the rain.

I've used ceramic lubes in the past. They work well. I think mine was from Chain Juice.

Top Bottom