Carphone Warehouse Faulty Goods.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

green1

Über Member
I bought a Nexus 6P from Carphone Warehouse that's still in warranty (just). The screen was cracked on it a couple of months after I bought it, (don't step on phone in the middle of the night when you going to the toilet). It's now developed a problem in that the battery is fubar'd, this it turns out is wide spread problem (there's a class action Lawsuit in the US over it). My problem is that Carphone Warehouse are refusing fix the phone as it's 'clearly due with the broken screen'. :rolleyes:

I've tried explaining the item is not fit for purpose as per consumer rights act. But all I'm getting is :banghead:.

Any suggestions what I can do other than try to go down the Section 75 on Card or small claims court route?

OP
OP
G

green1

Über Member
Have you tried going into the shop with a jerry can of petrol?
:laugh:
Please don't tempt me. The OH is only just talking to me after the scene I made in the shop on Saturday. I started off diplomatically honest, didn't last long though.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Drago’s suggestion is worth trying but you might have a fight on your hands regarding the broken screen unless you can prove it’s not your fault.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Explain it to the using a car as an example..
If the engine was broken due to a known fault and the windscreen was also cracked, the garage wouldnt refuse to repair the engine. But you would have to pay for the replacement windscreen yourself.

classic33

Leg End Member
Explain it to the using a car as an example..
If the engine was broken due to a known fault and the windscreen was also cracked, the garage wouldnt refuse to repair the engine. But you would have to pay for the replacement windscreen yourself.
Proving the damaged engine and cracked windscreen aren't connected may not always be possible.

If there's proof elsewhere of a known fault/problem take a copy of that with you to the shop.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Put to one side the fact that 'it's a known problem' - you have a phone that's in warranty, and the battery's gone. The onus is on them to prove that the screen is responsible for the battery being gone.

If they can't, they have to fix the battery (not the screen) under warranty.

If they refuse, small claims. It takes very little time, is very easy & straightforward, and costs very little (costs which you will get back when you win, which you will - the powers that be take a very dim view of this kind of behaviour).

But before you do all that, go back to the shop, ask to speak to the manager, and explain that this is what you will do, remaining calm and steely (this will unnerve him/her much more than a rant), and explaining also that (as suggested above) you will make a similar explanation, in writing, to the CEO, making a special mention of his/her refusal to do what is clearly not just the right thing but (from CW's perspective) the sensible thing.

Make sure you act before the warranty expires. Your position becomes considerably weaker afterwards. They are also aware of this, which is why they are stonewalling you. Apart from being scumbags of course.

Good luck. Keep calm. Be firm. You are in the right; they are in the wrong. Fundamentally it's that simple.

classic33

Leg End Member
Put to one side the fact that 'it's a known problem' - you have a phone that's in warranty, and the battery's gone. The onus is on them to prove that the screen is responsible for the battery being gone.

If they can't, they have to fix the battery (not the screen) under warranty.

If they refuse, small claims. It takes very little time, is very easy & straightforward, and costs very little (costs which you will get back when you win, which you will - the powers that be take a very dim view of this kind of behaviour).

But before you do all that, go back to the shop, ask to speak to the manager, and explain that this is what you will do, remaining calm and steely (this will unnerve him/her much more than a rant), and explaining also that (as suggested above) you will make a similar explanation, in writing, to the CEO, making a special mention of his/her refusal to do what is clearly not just the right thing but (from CW's perspective) the sensible thing.

Make sure you act before the warranty expires. Your position becomes considerably weaker afterwards. They are also aware of this, which is why they are stonewalling you. Apart from being scumbags of course.

Good luck. Keep calm. Be firm. You are in the right; they are in the wrong. Fundamentally it's that simple.
And if the above fails, do what I did with The Link. Contact the phone manufacturers CEO.

Although I wrote to his home address.

Freds Dad

Veteran

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Do you think that there may be the tiniest possibility that stepping on a phone, with sufficient force to crack the screen, might cause some other internal damage?
Not saying that's the case, but it's not something that could be ruled out.

OP
OP
G

green1

Über Member
Do you think that there may be the tiniest possibility that stepping on a phone, with sufficient force to crack the screen, might cause some other internal damage?
Not saying that's the case, but it's not something that could be ruled out.
Not if the damage only becomes apparent nearly 18 months later and is exactly as described by 1000's of other users.

Edit: pedantic note, the screen itself is not cracked it's the glass cover over the screen.

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Not if the damage only becomes apparent nearly 18 months later and is exactly as described by 1000's of other users.

Edit: pedantic note, the screen itself is not cracked it's the glass cover over the screen.
Can you remove the glass cover?

Dirk

If 6 Was 9

You might have difficulty in convincing the retailer that there was no time gap between the damage and the battery failure.

KneesUp

Guru
I've always had a positive experience with CPW - have you tried a different branch - and perhaps keeping up the calm, rational and determined demeanour for longer? You've backed that one store into a corner now by the sounds of it - you've made them entrench their position by making "a scene"

Clear your Saturday morning, go to a different branch with evidence from the internet that it's a known issues and be prepared to take your time.

Top Bottom