Can't center front hydraulic break caliper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mitxel

My dad gave me his Scalpel 29 4 2013 and I've been working to get it to a good riding state since it sat unused for a long time and the challenge I'm struggling with is disc brakes rubbing.

I learned to gravity bleed the brakes, and in the process I cleaned the bike, the calipers and equipped it with new shimano disc rotors and pads (my dad had uberbike ones, they were a little rusted and I wanted to eliminate them as a possible issue).

After getting the bike back together I used the whole loosen, hold brake, tighten bolt method for the rear, it didn't seem to work, I sometimes wonder if that method ever works. But after eyeballing it and adjusting it myself, to my shock I got it to spin perfectly with no rub.

But the front caliper resists my every attempt to center it. The wheel is a thru axle, not a drop out, and there's no play in it, I even bled the brake further to make sure the lever was as responsive as it could be. I tried a hayes alignment tool, I checked I had the right mount. No matter what I do I can't seem to get the wheel to spin freely without the disc rubbing. The amount of space I have to play with seems incredibly small, and the caliper mount even comes close to pressing into the rotor if I push it too far right.

My dad says he never got it to stop rubbing either, and I know he replaced the fork on this bike. But I don't know what to try next. Here are some photos, I don't know if they're any help.

Attachments

• IMG_20240826_141856585.jpg
    IMG_20240826_141856585.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240826_141923608.jpg
    IMG_20240826_141923608.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 14

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Some calipers need shims to centre them, although I thought they'd died out by now.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Does it rub at all parts of each wheel rotation, or is it intermittent?

If intermittent it could be a distorted disc.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom