Can it be saved?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davehateshills

Had my first blow-out yesterday. Quite ironic really, I was going at a fair lick down the East Lancs Road. The road was very smooth and I didn't see anything (glass etc.) Anyway after the bang, hiss I was really surprised to see the condition of the tyre.

Tyre%25202.JPG

Tyre%25201.JPG

Now i managed to get home on this and I have a new gator skin on the way from wiggle but can this tyre be saved? Is there a way of patching this from the inside or is this a write off?

Thanks.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nope.. I would bin it.

Davidc

Guru
A tyre boot would keep it going temporarily while the new tyre is coming. Looks a bit far gone for patching from inside.

It's a personal choice, but whenever I've had a tyre as badly cut as that I've ditched it as soon as possible and accepted the cost of a new one as the price of safety.

byegad

Legendary Member
Ride it and if it blows you could have a really 'interesting' off when it lets go. Or hang change it and be safe.

Tyres are safety critical in my book so I don't run risks with them. Others will vary and tell you of round the world trips on the canvas of a tyre with a bulge in the side wall large enough to rest a cup on.

Top Bottom