Can anyone ID this shower mixer bar?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Fitted about 10 years ago by a contractor who's no longer around.

With perfect timing, given the heatwave, it has decided it will only offer temperatures between hot and very hot, so it's either a new thermostat cartridge or replace the whole bar.

There are a couple of distinguishing features which may or may not be obvious from the photo:

1. Push-button only on the temperature control (many mixers have one on the flow control too)
2. Sculpted thumb grips on each control
3. Supply connectors that have no flats and are only finger-tight(!)
4. Oval bar cross-section

Can anyone ID the brand or model ?

MTIA
Dave

Shower mixer bar.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I suspect the only solution would be to replace it. If you have time on your hands you could try disassembling it to see if you can fix it but spares might prove impossible to find.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
If 150 mm centre pipes then just replace it , it’s the easiest thing to do. If you live in hard water area there’s a good chance that it is just the filter on the cold side blocked as it passes thru a little bit of gauze - you could poke screwdriver thru it but it’s lasted well and something else will clog soon

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I’ve tried to find replacement parts for these things before. Especially the cartridge washers. It’s basically impossible and even a plumber would struggle.
As above, the pipes should be a universal size so just replace it.

newts

Veteran
As per Berty's post, looks to be 150mm centres which is standard. There will be offset connectors behind the large shrouds against the wall for minor width adjustment. Sounds like the cold water inlet is partially blocked, when the thermostat fails you normally only get tepid water through the mixer. As for spare parts, probably cheaper to replace the complete bar mixer valve.

CXRAndy

Guru
Fitted about 10 years ago by a contractor who's no longer around.

With perfect timing, given the heatwave, it has decided it will only offer temperatures between hot and very hot, so it's either a new thermostat cartridge or replace the whole bar.

There are a couple of distinguishing features which may or may not be obvious from the photo:

1. Push-button only on the temperature control (many mixers have one on the flow control too)
2. Sculpted thumb grips on each control
3. Supply connectors that have no flats and are only finger-tight(!)
4. Oval bar cross-section

Can anyone ID the brand or model ?

MTIA
Dave

View attachment 739320

Doesn't matter just get standard mixer shower. Measure between pipes usually 150mm but could be odd size. Then Google replacement

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I have the exact same problem. I also can't identify mine so I'm replacing it. You can get them on Amazon for around £32 or Toolstation so one for 40 IIRC

OP
OP
D

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Many thanks for all the responses.

I've come to the conclusion that it's a no-name clone (almost, but not quite, identical to a Bristan, but with no logo). So the plan is to get it off the wall (once the weather has cooled down enough to venture into the loft and shut off the water) and then remove the cartridge to see if it's salvageable or replaceable.

Thought I suspect that, as suggested, it's going to be cheaper just to replace the whole thing.

classic33

Leg End Member
Many thanks for all the responses.

I've come to the conclusion that it's a no-name clone (almost, but not quite, identical to a Bristan, but with no logo). So the plan is to get it off the wall (once the weather has cooled down enough to venture into the loft and shut off the water) and then remove the cartridge to see if it's salvageable or replaceable.

Thought I suspect that, as suggested, it's going to be cheaper just to replace the whole thing.
Assuming it is a Bristan Oval Bar, then many parts are discontinued, or don't start cheap. Link given by slowmotion shows the availabilty and prices of spares for their range.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It looks quite similar, but a bit different to mine, but i have no idea what brand mine is. Does that help at all? 🤣🤣🤣

Tenkaykev

Guru
Our new one looks very similar and got difficult to turn after several months. It was replaced under warranty but the replacement is going the same way. We have very hard water.

Fastpedaller

Über Member
Plumber here..... Don't bother trying to repair it as it will cost as much and if limescale is the problem you may not be able to remove the thermostat from the body! As others have said if standard 150mm centres just replace it, however, be careful to get the right one as most have female threads on the unit but some have male threads. (from the photo yours look to be female threads on the unit)

Top Bottom