Campy shifting vs Shimano shifting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srshultz

I recently bought a Ti bike with a Campy Chorus triple groupset. The bike is circa 1995. The previous owner (one owner) took meticulous care of it. He had a spreadsheet with 10 years of maintenance records. Here’s the issue.
I have always employed Shimano Dura Ace groupsets. The shifting is crisp and sure every time.
Now I’m experiencing Campy shifting and it feels very different. The shifts are buttery and quiet. Sometimes, I don’t feel the shift even though it has shifted. It’s working but shifts just don’t feel sure.
From those of you who here experienced with both brands, do they feel differently or do I need to consider rebuilding the shifter or derailleur or both?
Thank for the help.

Gunk

Guru
I’ve used both and basically mid 90’s Campagnolo and Shimano are very similar quality, I currently run a mixture of Ultegra 6500 and Dura Ace 7700 and as you so nicely describe, the shifting is buttery, smooth and silky, my other road bike with Dura Ace shifters and Ultegra 2x10 speed is good but not as smooth, so it could be that 9 speed was perhaps the pinnacle of Groupsets. The 1990’s stuff seems to be much higher quality.

They do feel slightly different but it's something you'll get used to. I was a Campag man for most of my cycling life and only switched to Shimano when Campag started to become harder to get and increasingly expensive.

Both work as well as each other but changing over needs time until the muscle memory recalibrates.

boydj

Legendary Member
I run old 10sp Campag Chorus on one bike. It still works well, though it's decades old, and I prefer it to my newer Shimano shifters on other bikes because, to my mind, it looks better and I just prefer the way the campag shifts are operated.

OP
OP
srshultz

srshultz

I run old 10sp Campag Chorus on one bike. It still works well, though it's decades old, and I prefer it to my newer Shimano shifters on other bikes because, to my mind, it looks better and I just prefer the way the campag shifts are operated.

Thanks to everyone who replied. My confidence is restored.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am still using 10 speed Chorus on the red Cannondale CAAD5 shown in my avatar picture. It worked flawlessly for about 15 years but then a spring broke on the rear shifter. I replaced the spring and it has been fine since then.

I have Shimano on some bikes, and it is fine. I like the 1x11 SRAM on another bike. The Chorus is still my favourite though. It is just a pity that the cassettes are so expensive and are limited in low gear options.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Shimano shifting 'Click' Campagonolo shifting 'clunk bang kerdung' you certainly know when you've changed gear. On a positive note the gear changes have always been 'clean' just a racket

All uphill

Still rolling along
Shimano shifting 'Click' Campagonolo shifting 'clunk bang kerdung' you certainly know when you've changed gear. On a positive note the gear changes have always been 'clean' just a racket

I've just discovered that substituting a Microshift cassette into an otherwise Shimano drivetrain converts that 'Click' to 'Wait a sec, let's see, there you are'.

All uphill

Still rolling along
That hasn't been my experience. Is there anything else going on?

Not that I can detect. I checked everything thoroughly and finally changed the cassette back to shimano, at which point perfect changes were restored.

Looking closely at the cassettes the shimano has sharp edged ridges to help lift the chain; the microshift has a much 'softer' profile.

This with 9 speed.

Top Bottom