FNRttC Cambridge to King's Lynn 16th August 2024 Friday Night Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
It's time to venture out into the dark Fens!
Registration is now open for the Cambridge to King's Lynn Friday Night ride on 16th August. Details and registration form are on the website, link below.
https://www.fnrttc.org.uk/cbg-kln-16-aug-2024
1000005713.jpg

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
If you can, do this ride. That simple.....

Domus

Guru
Just had the best sleep for ages. In my foolish old age I decided to ride to Ely after the ride to catch the shockingly bad EMR service to Manchester. After 126 Kms overnight the 55 Kms to Ely were not looking like too good an idea. However group of nine were formed and off we went, a coffee and cake stop in Downham Market was taken but with the clock ticking Andrew and I took our leave to dash for the train. A flat route to Ely, I estimated we would have about 20 mins to spare. We bowled along at 22 - 23 Kph. Andrew asked if I was OK with the speed, yes I replied, the next thing I noticed my Wahoo was showing 29 Kph. :eek:
We made the train with enough time to buy some snacks on the platform. I got home (eventually) after leaving some 25 hours earlier with a total ride distance of 209 Kms, my longest ever ride.

A brilliant night thanks to Clare's leadership and organisation, she said the café expected us at 09.00 and so paced the ride accordingly, we arrived at 08.59 so not too shabby. Thanks to Clare, the all uppers, the way markers but especially Andrew for his pacing to get the train.

York to Hull 30 August, you know you want to. :okay:

sagefly

Guru
It was an excellent ride, great pace, no mechanical but for 2 pesky leaves and brilliant weather!

A good number of Fridays debutantes, as well as a few riders doing their second FNRttC!

See you all soon

OP
OP
LucretiaMyReflection

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
Thank you @Domus and @sagefly well done on the ride back, particularly ramping up the pace.

So what a fantastic night (and morning after!). After an interesting start through Cambridge (close encounter with an upset delivery scooter driver, we left the street lights behind into far more peaceful countryside.
Wildlife count 2 x owls, 1 x bat, 1 x deer and 1 x hare. Plus some of Ely's 3am wildlife that we skilfully navigated around lying in the road :rofl:

After last year's 2 hours of rain-torment, the weather favoured us this year, so with assistance from @Andrew Br and @Nick Saddlesore (plus TECS and waymarkers) we made good time being slightly early for both WWT Welney Wetland Centre and Marriotts Warehouse. Holly and Emma looked after us splendidly, even a table service to dish out extra cake!
At 5am we were back into chilly air and the glimmers of sunrise and a little while later a soft misty dawn. The sunrise photoshoot had the bat fluttering past, then we all had to make way for the tractor wanting to use the farm's drive :eek:
There's a great vid of the peloton passing by in the FB group.
We split up at West Lynn, into Team River (Ferry) led by Greg and Team Road (me);we raced to see if Team River could beat Team Road; it was close but Team Road just made it first. Turns out Team River took a wrong turn and got to see the market square before the quayside.
Breakfast in the sunshine followed, some consumed more hastily after Greg's intel that the 10:42 was cancelled. There were cheery goodbyes before dash for trains or more pedalling southwards. As Domus wrote, nine of us headed off, gradually we split up. We got into Ely about 1.30 I think, and had a beer at Grain Culture before I went off for a nap.

Most satisfactory.
PXL_20240816_225903059.jpg

PXL_20240816_230953637.jpg

PXL_20240816_233035276.jpg

PXL_20240817_024640291.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20240817_024714723.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20240817_034814938.jpg

PXL_20240817_034842683.jpg

PXL_20240817_041157322.jpg

PXL_20240817_041103727.jpg

PXL_20240817_043412883.jpg

Top Bottom