Buying secondhand adult bike for a kid - any advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We are looking at a new bike for our son, an MTB in medium I reckon (11 yo and quite tall). He rides my partners small / 16" IIRC and it is not at all big on him indeed he is not likely to be right for it within 6 months of expected growth.

We were wondering if carrerra adult MTBs were any good as a decent secondhand option or should we go for a trek? Last summer we saw a new trek for £440 that might have just been an option, more than we wanted to spend and it seems to me that new bikes are almost £100 more for the equivalent this year from recent bike shop visits.

We have basic bike maintenance skills but what should we know? Where to go? What to look for? Any bike recs? Just general advice as we have never bought secondhand before.

vickster

Legendary Member
Decathlon do decent entry level MTBs too

Bikes tend to be made to a pricepoint, no matter what the make is.
If I were you I'd get him one of the Carreras second-hand off Facebook Marketplace/Ebay etc in a medium.
I've got a Trek MTB and its generally good but did have a problem with the seat post falling down which I've fixed with a shim. this was £900 reduced to £720 and I got it free as an insurance replacement.
I'd get a Carrera no problem if I didn't want to spend much. But I'd want one with the forks that lock out.

Gillstay

Veteran
I think e bay has a few good ones and if nearby go and view. Then if anyone is tricky you know not to bother bidding.
Facebook has more rubbish but cheaper prices. Many good bikes out there. Very cheap.

Gunk

Guru
Do they recondition kids too

We do, we get loads of kids bikes donated

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
You might look out for local bike charities that offer reconditioned, second hand bikes?

Haven't found one near us. There might be but the closest was the local bulky matters style charity that trained homeless and long term unemployed in furniture reconditioning. They had a few bikes in their popup shop in Lancaster a few years back but that closed then their HQ shop closed too. All the council tip bikes went to them so we could not take scrapped bikes from the tip neither. I do not know if that charity still runs.

vickster

Legendary Member
Most of the carrera bikes seem to be 27.5" bikes as do a lot of the brands these days. I think 29ers are no longer the fashion for MTBs. Perhaps that might make secondhand ones cheaper?? One can only hope.

Unlikely as they always more expensive to start with!
The yoofs around here seem to mostly pull their wheelies (ineptly) on Carreras or Treks

Top Bottom