Buying a bike on ebay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
About 15 years ago I bought some bits on eBay but I've not used it since. So I'm looking for a bit of advice on how it works.

I found a bike for sale on eBay, pick up near to me, cash preferred. Just a cheap single/fixed bike just over £100. Cash preferred.

Now, you can't "make an offer" of cash on eBay as you have to specify a payment method. I couldn't figure out what to do next so I tried "contact seller". I had a conversation with the seller who wanted to meet outside "his unit" on a back road. It didn't "have an address as such". I decided it all sounded slightly dodgy so I politely ended the discussion and thanked him for his time. There are plenty of similar bikes and I'm not in a great hurry.

The seller did have some positive reviews on eBay but it mostly seemed to be as a buyer. Nothing that made me feel any different.

Tbh I wasn't so much concerned about getting scammed or ripped off or anything like that. It was more that I was getting "nicked bike" vibes.

So what's the deal with "cash preferred" sales on eBay? Any eBay tips? How would you feel about a pickup outside a storage unit?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
About 15 years ago I bought some bits on eBay but I've not used it since. So I'm looking for a bit of advice on how it works.

I found a bike for sale on eBay, pick up near to me, cash preferred. Just a cheap single/fixed bike just over £100. Cash preferred.

Now, you can't "make an offer" of cash on eBay as you have to specify a payment method. I couldn't figure out what to do next so I tried "contact seller". I had a conversation with the seller who wanted to meet outside "his unit" on a back road. It didn't "have an address as such". I decided it all sounded slightly dodgy so I politely ended the discussion and thanked him for his time. There are plenty of similar bikes and I'm not in a great hurry.

The seller did have some positive reviews on eBay but it mostly seemed to be as a buyer. Nothing that made me feel any different.

Tbh I wasn't so much concerned about getting scammed or ripped off or anything like that. It was more that I was getting "nicked bike" vibes.

So what's the deal with "cash preferred" sales on eBay? Any eBay tips? How would you feel about a pickup outside a storage unit?

Sounds like a 'nicked' bike to me but it could be the bloke is a bit paranoid about someone knowing where he lives

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
And another thing ... If I were to go thru the normal ebay channels (no dodgy cash business) and buy a bike for collection and on inspection it turns out to have problems unseen in the ad - have I comitted to buying it?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
If it doesn't work, or isn't as described, walk away and report that to eBay.

I'd be a little concerned about meeting someone in a public place, but I've done it. Also, cash on collection should be an option if the seller's made that possible in the listing.

For that amount I wouldn't be worried. I've a single speed fixie on eBay currently at £100 and if someone wants to pay cash, that's fine with me.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
See this article on the eBay website https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/...very-address-method/collection-person?id=4056

Cash on collection is fine. The bike could be stolen however you pay for it.

It wasn't the payment method that made me suspicious. It was a combination of the listing and my interactions with the seller.

My question about cash was that I was unable to "make an offer" without specifying either PayPal or credit card, which meant the cash aspect of the deal didn't seem to fit the eBay interface

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
talking of concerns about stolen bikes , this popped up on my facefluff sales page
1723910342424.jpeg

Jameshow

Veteran
talking of concerns about stolen bikes , this popped up on my facefluff sales page
View attachment 741540

Did they not have a TV...🤣

Last edited:

Gillstay

Veteran
I have bought many bikes off e bay and sold them as well. There are some oddballs out there and one chap was dishonest and sold me a stolen bike. Both he and his wife kept me distracted so i did not check the frame number which was filed off. E bay were not interested that it was stolen as I had checked it when I bought it. I reported him to crime stoppers. Really pissed me off as it was for my nephew.

richardfm

Veteran
And that's where the conversation would have ended for me too... if someone on eBay sounds a bit dodgy then they most likely are.

There is a man who works at the place I volunteer at who collects all sorts of bicycles and motorbikes. He has so many that he rents a "unit" to keep them in. Occasionally he may sell one. It would be entirely above board for him to ask a potential buyer to meet him at the unit.

Top Bottom