Buses entering cycle lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daninplymouth

Hi, pretty sure I know the answer to this but I just wanted to confirm after getting into a heated discussion with a bus driver.
I was travelling in the cycle lane, when the bus passed me. Traffic ahead was slowing and I continued on and was then moving faster than the bus, as I was about level with the centre of the bus he then drifted over and had 2 wheels in the cycle lane and continued moving over I proceeded to shout at him as he almost forced me into a hedge.
After pulling up and having a go he tried to blame me for undertaking which this isn’t possible when I just stayed in the cycle lane is it?
Also he then said buses are allowed to enter bus lanes due to their size, he said to check the Highway Code. Is this correct? I can’t see it being true but there was no need here anyway as the road is pretty wide
IMG_5557.jpeg

winjim

Smash the cistern
I wouldn't go up the inside of a bus like that unless I was pretty sure where it was going and I knew I had an escape route. As far as I'm aware, and there will be those on the forum who know better than I do, motor vehicles can cross that dashed line just fine. It's advisory, not mandatory. Is it definitely a cycle lane anyway?

classic33

Leg End Member
Only if it's unavoidable, and then they have to give way to the cyclist.

"Rule 140
Cycle lanes and cycle tracks. Cycle lanes are shown by road markings and signs. You MUST NOT drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a solid white line during its times of operation. Do not drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a broken white line unless it is unavoidable."

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

I wouldn't go up the inside of a bus like that unless I was pretty sure where it was going and I knew I had an escape route. As far as I'm aware, and there will be those on the forum who know better than I do, motor vehicles can cross that dashed line just fine. It's advisory, not mandatory. Is it definitely a cycle lane anyway?

The thing is this is a very busy road we’re 2 lanes merge to 1 and a few sets of lights. So it is quite easy to go faster than cars at times.
Was quite funny as after having a proper go at him and a discussion in the middle of the road it turns out I knew the driver and he shook my hand. I was just after clarification as too what he said so I could prove him wrong
IMG_5582.jpeg

winjim

Smash the cistern
The thing is this is a very busy road we’re 2 lanes merge to 1 and a few sets of lights. So it is quite easy to go faster than cars at times.
Was quite funny as after having a proper go at him and a discussion in the middle of the road it turns out I knew the driver and he shook my hand. I was just after clarification as too what he said so I could prove him wrong
View attachment 746489

Well that's a positive anyway, hopefully he understands the fear response from a ten ton bus bearing down on you.

With respect to proving him wrong, I think with that cycle lane with a dashed line, the answer is 'it depends' and none of us were there. IMO if he was going to move over he should at least have treated it like any other lane change, checked his mirrors and given way.

The clue is, that it is a lane. In the first image you posted, there are in effect two lanes in each direction, the main traffic lane and the cycle lane. The bus driver should not drive in the cycle lane. And if they have to drive in the cycle lane - for example, to avoid an obstruction, they should negotiate their way into that lane giving way to any cycle traffic and only proceed to use it if it is safe to do so. If the lane is occupied by a cyclist, then it is not safe to do so.

Your first picture also shows a HGV proceeding toward the camera that clearly fits into the main general traffic lane, so this bus driver has no excuses.

Alex321

Guru
If it is a broken white line, as in your photo, then legally it is just part of the highway and anybody can drive in it.

So far as the highway code is concerned, you should not (not must not) unless unavoidable. So if he had room to stay out of it, he was breaching the highway code, but not breaking the law.

But passing up the inside of a large vehicle when you could be in their blind spot is never really the best idea, whatever the law says.

Hi, pretty sure I know the answer to this but I just wanted to confirm after getting into a heated discussion with a bus driver.
I was travelling in the cycle lane, when the bus passed me. Traffic ahead was slowing and I continued on and was then moving faster than the bus, as I was about level with the centre of the bus he then drifted over and had 2 wheels in the cycle lane and continued moving over I proceeded to shout at him as he almost forced me into a hedge.
After pulling up and having a go he tried to blame me for undertaking which this isn’t possible when I just stayed in the cycle lane is it?
Also he then said buses are allowed to enter bus lanes due to their size, he said to check the Highway Code. Is this correct? I can’t see it being true but there was no need here anyway as the road is pretty wide
View attachment 746487

I had an almost identical incident a year or two back riding over Clarence Road bridge into Cardiff bay when a bus cut me up as I was travelling on his inside in a cycle lane, nearly driving me into the pavement. At the pedestrian crossing 100 yards further on he had to stop so I pulled across him so he could not go and asked him what in hell he was doing. He trotted out the same excuse about it being my fault so I invited him to put the same point to the officers in the police station we had conveniently stopped outside.
He wouldn't do so and i didn't want to inconvenience his passengers any more so I called him a few names and rode off. I should have stuck to my guns.

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

If it is a broken white line, as in your photo, then legally it is just part of the highway and anybody can drive in it.

So far as the highway code is concerned, you should not (not must not) unless unavoidable. So if he had room to stay out of it, he was breaching the highway code, but not breaking the law.

But passing up the inside of a large vehicle when you could be in their blind spot is never really the best idea, whatever the law says.

It is a broken line as per the top photo. I do get that about sitting in a vehicles blind spot but he had literally passed me about 5-10seconds previously so should have known I was there.
If I do see him or may send him a message just wanted tonight facts straight,
He can enter the lane but should check mirrors and indicate?
There is no such thing as undertaking in a cycle lane is there?

There is no such thing as undertaking in a cycle lane is there?

No, it's not 'undertaking' unless you have entered the lane expressly to undertake.

Depending on exact circumstances, I may have done the same thing. Sitting in a slow moving or stop/start queue of traffic isn't exactly safe because drivers can become inattentive and start interacting with their phones. When they realise that traffic has started to move or speed has increased, they react in a startled fashion without full situational awareness, thus failing to make proper observations or check mirrors etc..

Hopefully, the fact that this driver came to realise that cyclist was a person, and more than that a person that they knew, hopefully helps them change their behaviour.

Only if it's unavoidable, and then they have to give way to the cyclist.

"Rule 140
Cycle lanes and cycle tracks. Cycle lanes are shown by road markings and signs. You MUST NOT drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a solid white line during its times of operation. Do not drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a broken white line unless it is unavoidable."

Unfortunately the one here is dashed so that didn't apply, he still shouldn't have moved over though 😡

There's one near me that is solid, but also has limited operating hours
423 Bradley Rd
https://maps.app.goo.gl/pbNZkN34HXh23NRM8?g_st=ac

Top Bottom