Building a Bike: installing wired Di2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans1

I've acquired a 2017 Specialized Tarmac Expert frame from a work colleague and have also bought a second hand set of wired Ultegra Di2 to go on it. The brakes are mechanical rim brake, so no messing with hydraulics.

I'm a modest home mechanic, but i've only ever worked with mechanical groupsets. Have any of you done a home build with wired Di2 and if so how much of a pain in the arse was it? Any tips or tricks?

I work at a bike shop, but would like to at least attempt the build myself before commissioning (and paying) one of my more skilled colleagues to build it for me.

si_c

Guru
Not done it myself, but the hardest part seems to be fitting the battery and routing the cables, so assuming your shop has an internal cable routing kit and the Di2 spudger then it should be relatively easy once you've got the battery fitted.

The biggest unknown is the junction box for at the front of the bike, whether it's a bar end or mounted under the stem.

I’ve moved around, swapped, upgraded etc quite a few Di2 sets over the years now. Last similar upgrade was Campi mechanical to Di2 wired on a Pinarello F8, very similar being traditional rim brakes. Super easy to be honest. You will have to find a home for the battery, either down tube if the opening is big enough or in the seat post and there’s a nice seat tube adaptor to hold the battery to make life easier. Make sure you get the right length of cables and you have of course all the right parts, battery, junction box and cables etc. Then the job is just down to running the cables through the frame. As the Di2 i installed was also second hand, it was missing an odd grommet here and there but all was OK.

It might be worth adding a bluetooth module before you install it, cheap enough and adds no extra hassle to the install. Nice feature to be able to have that connectivity though.

Definately get yourself the proper Shimano Di2 tool for the cables. You can do the job without it but it’s only a few quid and makes it all a bit easier and reduces the risk of knackering a cable or socket.

Top Bottom