BT landline that no longer rings continuously

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I've got a phone on a BT landline that no longer rings continuously. It will just give one ring and stop. I can just about hear a rythmic buzzing from the socket box instead. The same thing happens if I plug the cable into the test socket.

I've had a look at an online guide. The orange/white wire that should go to pin 3 goes to the face plate of my socket box. It must always have been like this.
https://www.britishtelephones.com/wiring/socketwiring.htm

Have BT changed the way that they send out ring signals recently?

alicat

Squire
Not to my knowledge. Can you borrow someone else's phone and try it out before you get into further investigation?

13 rider

Guru
No change to ringing signal , the fault is called ring trip normally caused by a damp connection somewhere ,the AC current used to make the phone ring shorts through the " non metallic loop " .
Questions can you answer the call if you here the phone ring once ? Is the line crackling ? .as mentioned above have you tried another phone or taken your phone to a neighbours house .
You say this occurs when plugged into the test socket which proves the fault onto the open reach network , you will need to contact your supplier to arrange a engineering visit

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
No change to ringing signal , the fault is called ring trip normally caused by a damp connection somewhere ,the AC current used to my the phone ring shorts through the " non metallic loop " .
Questions can you answer the call if you here the phone ring once ? Is the line crackling ? .as mentioned above have you tried another phone or taken your phone to a neighbours house .
You say this occurs when plugged into the test socket which proves the fault onto the open reach network , you will need to contact your supplier to arrange a engineering visit

Yes, I can answer the phone but there is crackling on the line (and has been for some time). I'll try another phone before I call out BT.

I can hear a low rythmic buzzing sound from the socket box instead of the ringtone. Is this normal?

postman

Squire
Relationships are like rings.Engagement ring Wedding ring suffering.

13 rider

Guru
Yes, I can answer the phone but there is crackling on the line (and has been for some time). I'll try another phone before I call out BT.

I can hear a low rythmic buzzing sound from the socket box instead of the ringtone. Is this normal?
Under normal working conditions you shouldn't hear anything at the socket ,Almost certainly an outside line fault or a corroded socket . Very much doubt the fault is the phone but it is worth checking as you will be charged a call out fee if it proves to be your equipment

FishFright

More wheels than sense
GCHQ listening in

When I was a teenager my mate's dad worked for a now defunct C.S.O.S station and his phone was continuously monitored . We discovered that after copying the Comic Strip's blah blah secret plan , blah blah nuclear weapons etc . Got a proper telling off for that.

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
I finally found another corded phone and plugged it in. Exactly the same problem occurred with that one as well.

I logged a fault with BT who ran some remote diagnostic tests and said that the problem was with their network. They will fix it ASAP.

Top Bottom