Brompton little bike little ride.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilrichardson55

Morning, little ride out on the brommie. did about 6 miles around Rickmansworth aqua drone. little up hill and lots of flat. the 3 speed worked well was a good all round little bike.
anyone know much about the 3 speed hub. 1 and 2 working well 3 seemed to click a little might be slight out of set up maybe. also ive seen, there is surface rust in the frame is it worth spraying the inner frame with wax oil to stop the rust ?>

have to say i am really singing praise of the brommie but i really am beginning to love it :smile:

Re the SA 3-speed hub, there's a few vids on Utube explaining the set-up process.
My preferred method is having a little slack at the indicator chain when in 3rd gear.
I'm assuming this is the same for B's, others will correct me if not :okay:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
The hub is nearly always noisey for some reason by virtue of the way it works. This is especially true in 1st and also 3rd as I think the latter certainly employs ratchets that constantly click as the bike's being pedalled, plus there's the infamous "coasting rattle" that I think happens in all gears.

Setup is easy by adjusting the position of the indicator chain; plenty of info about but basically bang it in 2nd, view the solid shank of the chain assy through the round hole in the axle nut and adjust the threaded boss that attaches the cable to the chain until there's around 1mm of the plain shank visible / standing proud inside the nut.

Yes; treat the inside of all frame components if you can - have been meaning to do mine for the past year and really should get it nailed before winter rolls round again...

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
So.... after some in-depth testing earlier; noises whilst pedalling that I assume are normal:

1st: Whirring noise, some rumbling felt through pedals.. latter might disappear when run in but I very rarely use this gear.
2nd: Silent as everything's locked together to give 1:1
3rd; Ticking / clicking

Hope this sets your mind at rest :tongue:

OP
OP
neilrichardson55

neilrichardson55

So.... after some in-depth testing earlier; noises whilst pedalling that I assume are normal:

1st: Whirring noise, some rumbling felt through pedals.. latter might disappear when run in but I very rarely use this gear.
2nd: Silent as everything's locked together to give 1:1
3rd; Ticking / clicking

Hope this sets your mind at rest :tongue:

Yeah that sounds like mine the ezy wheels on the rack were making a lot of. Noise to.
I did not really want to strip down that was a winter job to have a look at lol :smile:

Attachments

• IMG_5903.jpeg
    IMG_5903.jpeg
    247.7 KB · Views: 8

gizmo1994

If you think your ezy wheels are rattling while riding then that could also be your hub. The 3 speed will make a light rattling sound as you ride, more when you freewheel than pedal. It sounds like it is coming from the rack or somewhere around there but it is a perfectly normal Sturmey rattle.

Top Bottom