Brompton frame variations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fastpedaller

Über Member
Until yesterday I hadn't realised there were variations in the Brompton frame (aside from steel or Ti rear triangle & forks). Am I correct in my observation that if there are 4 derailleur gears (ie P-line) there is an extra plate under the RH chainstay to take the 4 speed derailleur? If a 2 speed derailleur (all other models even if they only have hub gear) there is a 'peg' to take the 2 speed derailleur. The 4 speed and 2 speed derailleurs differ and it's not possible to update a 2 speed tp a 4 speed using brompton parts.
A small thing.... I saw a B75 for sale and there is what appears to be an alloy disc on the left side of the fork which looks to be there to 'deflect' the brake cable - my 2007 SL2 has a boss at the same place, but no alloy disc, and I've not seen the alloy disc an other bromptons, only the B75.

EckyH

Am I correct in my observation that if there are 4 derailleur gears (ie P-line) there is an extra plate under the RH chainstay to take the 4 speed derailleur? If a 2 speed derailleur (all other models even if they only have hub gear) there is a 'peg' to take the 2 speed derailleur. The 4 speed and 2 speed derailleurs differ and it's not possible to update a 2 speed to a 4 speed using brompton parts.
You're correct with that.

there is what appears to be an alloy disc on the left side of the fork which looks to be there to 'deflect' the brake cable
That's for the Bromptons without front mud guards.

E.

brommieinkorea

The new P line rear frame is vastly different from the previous models. It may have the same spacing. The 3 speed hub looks significantly different, the shell appears much wider, if someone knows what's different about the new hub, now is a good time to share.

Top Bottom